Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excle 2003 working with mainframe

Hello i would like to create a macro in excel 2003 that can work with my
mainframe application. that ie it can read as well write date in mainframe
application.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You need to be a lot more specific

1) what is the main frame application

2) What type of enfironment does it use? Windows or command line

3) Is is a SQL Database or a Web browser tools

4) Wghat hardware interface is the communication path. Serial Port
(USB, RS232), ethernet.

5) What type of command language does it use

The more details the better

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joel

i am sorry for giving the incomplite info but as i am too new to it
so..., but i had tried giving the requird info ann for remaining
kindly guide me the way to dig that info.

1its seagull software bluezone maniframe application
2its using windows to its operating
3i think its a web browser tools as i find the .com address in its
host address.

Regards,

On Oct 22, 4:27*pm, joel wrote:
You need to be a lot more specific

1) what is the main frame application

2) What type of enfironment does it use? Windows or command line

3) Is is a SQL Database or a Web browser tools

4) Wghat hardware interface is the communication path. *Serial Port
(USB, RS232), ethernet.

5) What type of command language does it use

The more details the better

--
joel
joel's Profile:http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread:http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=146759

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The name blue Zone gave me a lot of information because I did a web
search and found out some of the information I needed. the blue zone
tool is what called a Front - End Application. It is a termional
emulator which means it jhust replaces a key board and monitor with a
web tools. I suspect the host application you are using is very old,
used by a lot of people if they are using a terminal emulator.

The .com address I don't think belong to blue Zone it is your company's
host mainframe. A .com address is really a phone book name for an IP
address 192.136.10.2 (or similar). It is refere to a IP 4 because there
are 4 groups of number each with 256 possible number (0 - 255). Some
people are using IP 5 becasue they are running out of numbers.

There are few approaches you can take depending on what type of data
you are uploading and downloading. You can access the data through Blue
zone tool by opening a IE application or access the host directly
through Telnet (Terminal apllication) or FTP (File transfer Protocol).
I have a VBA program to use FTP for transfering files. FTP is a
different application which is equivalent to HTTP. Youcan actually type
in your web browser Ftp:// + URL to get to your web site and downup load
files.

I would like two mnore pices of information.

1) What type of data are you access on the main frame and what type of
commands or keyboard/mouse operations you are using.

2) I would like you to try to access both FTP and Telnet to see if
these can be used.

Using your windows Explorer (not IE explorer, right click START button
and pick explore) go to folder c:\windows.system32.

Find FTP

Enter : OPEN and then Type you URL and press Enter on keyboard
You should be prompted for you username and password
If you aren't prompted then Type : User and Enter on your keyboard

You can enter the word HELP on your keyboard to get a list of commands
that FTP will except.

You can do the same by opening a web browser and type FTP:// + URL.

Now close FTP and try the same with Telnet. You can't use telnet with
the web browser only the window explorer.

Let me know the results. I had you access the host directly you give
you a better understadning of the task you are trying to perform. If
you give me the URL you are using I would like to see the Login sceen to
get more information. I wouldn't try to login in but just want to see
if the are any clues to help us proceed. You can send me a private
message on TheCodeCage so other people will not see the URL.

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=146759

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HI Joel

for sending n receiving i would like to use commends like "sendkeys" and
"readscreen" and for send data can be sometime numaric n some time string
while always i receive the string data type.

i had a given try to connect by both method you suggested and was successful
by using ftp but when i give it a try by using telnet it says invalid
command.

Regards,

"joel" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I probably has been 20 years since I regular used Telnet. I forgot to
tell you to use Open to make the connection. At the T Prompt you can
type Help to get the list of the commands.

I been thinking about your problem for a while a trying to decide the
best method to use. Using Telnet would give you everything you would
need but you would have to filter out a lot of control characters and I
think that is a lot of work.

It is possible to use send key commands to perform that task but I'm
not sure how you would do a dump screen to a IE explorer application.
You could do this if the screen was really a terminal (not an IE
emulator).

I believe the right solution is to use an IE explorer to do the job.
Actual the real any is to contact the main frame MIS department and see
if they are willing to give you the SQL server web address and directly
access the data. Although we may still be able to find out this
information indirectly.

What you may want to do is to go to the IE window and either type F12
to gewt the developer tools or go to view - source. the information may
be in the text data to let you bypass the Terminal and get access to the
database directly which is the easiest method.

I would recommend otherwise, in using code like I posted below.

Sub GetZipCodes()

ZIPCODE = InputBox("Enter 5 digit zipcode : ")

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
IE.Visible = True

URL = "http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.jsp"

'get web page
IE.Navigate2 URL
Do While IE.readyState < 4 And _
IE.busy = True

DoEvents
Loop

Set Form = IE.document.getElementsByTagname("Form")

Set zip5 = IE.document.getElementById("zip5")
zip5.Value = ZIPCODE

Set ZipCodebutton = Form(0).onsubmit

Form(0).submit
Do While IE.busy = True
DoEvents
Loop

Set Table = IE.document.getElementsByTagname("Table")
Location = Table(0).Rows(2).innertext
IE.Quit
MsgBox ("Zip code = " & ZIPCODE & " City/State = " & Location)

End Sub

The code below if you enter the URL will dump of your webpage to excel.
I'm not dumping all the properties only the standard ones so you can
see how to obtain the data from the webpage. You have to modify the
code by entering the URL of your webpage.

Sub Dump()

URL = "enter Your url Here"

Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
IE.Visible = True

'get web page
IE.Navigate2 URL
Do While IE.readyState < 4 Or _
IE.busy = True

DoEvents
Loop

RowCount = 1
For Each itm In IE.document.all
Range("A" & RowCount) = itm.tagname
Range("B" & RowCount) = itm.classname
Range("C" & RowCount) = itm.ID 'comment out line if error
Range("D" & RowCount) = Left(itm.innertext, 1024)

RowCount = RowCount + 1
Next itm

joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=146759

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joel

i think i an still not able to get my point clear. we are not using IE to
use the mainframe application. so can i have your personal id to give you the
things with screen shorts to make my point clear.

Regards,
Ruchika

"joel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure

joel dot warburg at itt dot com

I know you are not using an IE application, but I believe the blue Zone
software is using the IE as the front end to your application. Your
main frame appliation was probably writen ages ago and used a land-line
terminal for inputs and outputs. The Blue Zone is simple mimics the
terminal through an IE explorer window. To be able to extract data from
the screen I think using the IE explorer will be the best solution But I
have to see the info you are going to send me befofre I make a decision.

--
joel
joel's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=229
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=146759

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joel

i had provide the mail on your id with screen short and bit of task
explanation that i am trying to do. hope that will be informative. and prove
to be the helping hand in understanding my prob.

Regards,
Ruchika