Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Getting intermediate results from Solver Functions... Possible?

Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance
--
Martin Esteves
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have Max and Min, neither of which seems to work for you. Also, you can
define the specific value that you are looking for: 'Value of'
Did you try that?
Ryan--

--
Ryan---

"Martin" wrote:

Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance
--
Martin Esteves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ryguy7272

I have no problems with Max, Min or "Value of". It's just I want to get
intermediate results. Not just the "optimal" one, but those on the way before
reaching that optimal. Do you know how? Thanks
--
Martin Esteves

"Martin" wrote:

Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance
--
Martin Esteves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You probably know how to define all constraints, right. You probably know
about the additional controls under the 'Options' button, right. Other than
those customization features, Solver is an optimization tool, so it optimizes
all calculations. Maybe someone else here knows more about tit, but I don't
think there is anything else you can do.

Good luck,
Ryan--

--
Ryan---

"Martin" wrote:

Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance
--
Martin Esteves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ryguy7272

Maybe you got me wrong, I'm not trying to set a fire in an iceberg... It was
just a question, that's why my opening on the question was "Is it
possible..." I didn't take it for granted, and you're very right... Solver is
an optimization tool so it does what's expected from it... I just wanted to
get intermediate results for academic purposes for an operations research
class because Solver works under Simplex Method for linear problems... and
that was it. Honestly, I don't feel Solver is explained well enough in terms
of functions it uses. I thought that, maybe, there might be another function
called from solversolve that gets intermediate results that are reused in a
loop. Sorry for the inconvenience... if any, and thank you.
--
Martin Esteves

"Martin" wrote:

Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance
--
Martin Esteves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I certainly have not seen tons of documentation on Solver and I don't know
anyone who has. There used to be some good info he
http://www.solver.com/

When I look at the site now, I realize that it has changed since I last saw
it. Not sure if they still have the same articles now that I saw there
before, but it's a good resource nonetheless.

Ryan---

--
Ryan---

"Martin" wrote:

Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance
--
Martin Esteves

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Martin wrote:
ryguy7272

Maybe you got me wrong, I'm not trying to set a fire in an iceberg... It was
just a question, that's why my opening on the question was "Is it
possible..." I didn't take it for granted, and you're very right... Solver is
an optimization tool so it does what's expected from it... I just wanted to
get intermediate results for academic purposes for an operations research
class because Solver works under Simplex Method for linear problems... and

Won't "Solver Options" "Show Iteration Results" do what you want ?

that was it. Honestly, I don't feel Solver is explained well enough in terms
of functions it uses. I thought that, maybe, there might be another function
called from solversolve that gets intermediate results that are reused in a
loop. Sorry for the inconvenience... if any, and thank you.

I have a hunch that it swaps between different methods depending on how
well behaved the Hessian looks around the point(s) being considered.

It can get stuck if you feed it an awkward problem.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On 10/8/09 12:19 PM, Martin wrote:
Is it possible to get intermediate results from solversolve?
Thanks in advance

Hi Martin. The answer to your question is "kind of."

Your question is about programming, but first start with a Solver
problem by hand. It has to be a Solver model that takes a few seconds
to solve.

Look at the Solver options, and place a check on "Show Iteration
Results." If your model takes a while to solve, you will see your
"intermediate results."

These "Intermediate Results" are not "each loop" as you would hope.
These are not documented (AFAIK), but I like to think of the results as
occurring every 100 loops, or about every second. (These are just
guesses of course). This is why you need a Model that takes a few
seconds to solve before these results get displayed. If your problem is
solved very quickly, the intermediate results will not get triggered for
display.

For your programming question on "SolverSolve", look at the second
option to this function. The second option takes a string that is the
name of a custom function. This custom function should take your Target
cell and store its value for later review. Again, the value stored is
not "each loop", but a value "about each second" while SolverSolve is
running.

I believe "each loop" wouldn't work too well with Solver because Solver
needs to run a few "Finite Differences" on the worksheet to determine a
derivative. These are then used to determine a direction for the next
guesses. These intermediate results wouldn't be useful while Solver is
working.

= = = = =
Good luck. :)
HTH
Dana DeLouis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Martin

Won't "Solver Options" "Show Iteration Results" do what you want ?
My friend, I tried when setting the option features but it doesn't get
marked when I click up on it. Why? I don't know. I'll run the same model on
other pc to see if I can set this option. I hope there's nothing wrong with
my solver... A while ago I ran a model and I remember that it showed some
iterations as it was running.
--
Martin Esteves

"Martin Brown" wrote:

Martin wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dana

Thanks a lot for your explanation... it sounds very reasonable to me so I'm
going to give it up. First, this was coded by a company other than microsoft
so I don't think they're going to provide some help on this issue. Second, if
it works as you guess, I won't get every iteration so it doesn't make sense
after all. Third, it doesn't bring any improvement to the tool. I remember to
have run a model a while ago and solver showed some results as it was
running... I tried to set the option features for a very simple model as you
suggest but it doesn't get marked the "Show Iteration Results" checkbox (why?
I don't know) I hope there's nothing wrong with my solver.
--
Martin Esteves

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Martin wrote:
Martin

Won't "Solver Options" "Show Iteration Results" do what you want ?

My friend, I tried when setting the option features but it doesn't get
marked when I click up on it. Why? I don't know. I'll run the same model on
other pc to see if I can set this option. I hope there's nothing wrong with
my solver... A while ago I ran a model and I remember that it showed some
iterations as it was running.

How odd. It works here at least on the sorts of optimisation problems I
run - typically non-linear curve fits on real number data.

Each iteration stops and the screen shows the current values of the
parameters and the value of the function being optimised.

Regards,
Martin Brown