Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Creating UDF prompts (XL 2007)

I'm trying to get hints/prompts to display for a UDF I've written.

This group had a thread back in 2007 that had the answer, but the link
I found is now dead. Here's the question/answer I found and the old
link. Can anybody provide and answer or a link to the archived
answer.

TIA,
David

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6f0180ce2819d5
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007a

"michael.beckinsale" wrote:

Hi All,

With XL2003 built in functions you get prompts for the various
parameters / arguments as you type into the cell.

eg typing =Sumif( directly into a cell results in this prompt:

SUMIF(range, criteria,[sumrange])

Can this be achieved with UDF and if so how?

Regards

Michael B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Google link is still active:

Here is the response Bob Phillips posted:

From: "Bob Phillips"
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 10:02:35 +0100
Subject: Excel 2002 UDF screen tips
There are a couple of ways, one not too robust, one that requires a dll.

The not too robust way, suggested by Laurent Longre and working for two
parameters is :-
Const Lib = """c:\windows\system\user32.dlÂ*Â*l"""
Option Base 1

Private Function Multiply(N1 As Double, N2 As Double) As Double
Multiply = N1 * N2
End Function

'=============================Â*Â*=============

Private Function Divide(N1 As Double, N2 As Double) As Double
Divide = N1 / N2
End Function

'=============================Â*Â*=============

Sub Auto_open()

Register "DIVIDE", 3, "Numerator,Divisor", 1, "Division", _
"Divides two numbers", """Numerator"",""Divisor """, "CharPrevA"
Register "MULTIPLY", 3, "Number1,Number2", 1, "Multiplication", _
"Multiplies two numbers", """First number"",""Second number """, _
"CharNextA"

End Sub

'=============================Â*Â*=============

Sub Register(FunctionName As String, NbArgs As Integer, _
Args As String, MacroType As Integer, Category As String, _
Descr As String, DescrArgs As String, FLib As String)

Application.ExecuteExcel4Macro _
"REGISTER(" & Lib & ",""" & FLib & """,""" & String(NbArgs, "P") _
& """,""" & FunctionName & """,""" & Args & """," & MacroType _
& ",""" & Category & """,,,""" & Descr & """," & DescrArgs & ")"

End Sub

'=============================Â*Â*=============

Sub Auto_close()

Dim FName, FLib
Dim I As Integer
FName = Array("DIVIDE", "MULTIPLY")
FLib = Array("CharPrevA", "CharNextA")
For I = 1 To 2
With Application
.ExecuteExcel4Macro "UNREGISTER(" & FName(I) & ")"
.ExecuteExcel4Macro "REGISTER(" & Lib & _
",""CharPrevA"",""P"",""" & FName(I) & """,,0)"
.ExecuteExcel4Macro "UNREGISTER(" & FName(I) & ")"
End With
Next

End Sub

The dll solution:
Also from Laurent Longre, you use the FUNCUSTOMIZE utility .Get it at
http://longre.free.fr/english/

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200907

"michael.beckinsale" wrote:

Hi All,

With XL2003 built in functions you get prompts for the various
parameters / arguments as you type into the cell.

eg typing =Sumif( directly into a cell results in this prompt:

SUMIF(range, criteria,[sumrange])

Can this be achieved with UDF and if so how?

Regards

Michael B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Laurent Longre's link is still valid if you want to download FUNCUSTOMIZE
sdd-in.

http://longre.free.fr/english/

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 11:23:57 -0700 (PDT), David
wrote:

I'm trying to get hints/prompts to display for a UDF I've written.

This group had a thread back in 2007 that had the answer, but the link
I found is now dead. Here's the question/answer I found and the old
link. Can anybody provide and answer or a link to the archived
answer.

TIA,
David

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6f0180ce2819d5

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depends what you mean by hints/prompts, AFAIK there is no utility out there
that will help you add tooltips or autocomplete to your UDFs.

For info and help text in the function wizard go for the link given by Gord
Dibben. If you need to include more that total 255 characters of info text,
a brilliant method is described here (not easy though)

http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/RegisterUDF01.asp

Regards,
Peter T