Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cannot find a loaded VBA addin

Hi,

I have an addin, lets call it 'office2003addin.xla' which is loaded into
Excel on startup because it is in the %App data%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
directory. The issue I have is that it conflicts with an office 2007 COM
addin that I have created which needs to call VBA procedures in another
addin, lets call it 'office2007addin.xlam'.

I am running VSTO code which calls the VBA. The aim is that before I call
any VBA code I first check that office2007addin.xlam is loaded, and if not
then I load it using Application.addins.

I also want to check that office2003addin.xla is not loaded, and if it is to
remove it. The problem is that office2003addin.xla is not listed as an
active Addin, is not included in the Application.Addins or
Application.Workbooks collections so I have no way of removing it, but yet if
I go to the VBA editor I can see it listed as a project, and it is loaded
since I can call functions it contains.

This is a bit of a strange situation, but we have the 2003 addin deployed to
a lot of machines and I cannot guarantee that it will be removed when we
install the new version of office.

Has anyone seen this before, and is there any way of removing the addin, or
at least telling if it is there (short of removing the file from the PC,
which I cannot do).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Simon Reid -

As I recall, it's always the case that an XLA add-in loaded using File Open
or XLSTART does not appear in the add-ins list.

An alternative (instead of XLSTART) might be to put the add-in XLA file in
(Windows Vista):

C:\ Users \ UserName \ AppData \ Roaming \ Microsoft \ AddIns folder

or in (Windows XP):

C:\ Documents and Settings \ UserName \ Application Data \ Microsoft \
AddIns folder.

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

An addin only gets into the Addins collection if
- it's in the default addins path
(and/) or
- it exists in the Addin manager in one of two (installed or not installed)
registry locations

An Addin that exists in the Addins collection will automatically load on
startup (if not in XLstart) if it's Installed Property = True (changing to
False does not remove it from the collection).

Although somewhat odd, even though loaded addins do not apparently appear in
the loaded Workbooks collection, you can test if it is loaded like this
(irrespective as to whether it's in the addins collection)

On Error resume next
Set wb = Workbooks("myAddin.xla")
On Error goto 0

If not wb is Nothing then
' it's loaded
Else
'it's not

Peter T

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

An XLA which is opened (File Open or XLSTART) rather than loaded by the
Addin manager is a hidden workbook in the Workbooks collection.

regards
Charles
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com