Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code error message for Excel 97 users

I get an error on the Replace part of the following code for people who are
still using Excel 97. I have tried using substitute instead but this also
does not seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & _

Replace(Replace(Replace(cell.Value, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Replace is n/a in Excel 07, along with various other string manipulation
functions. To cater for all versions do it like this

Dim sOld As String, sNew
'code

sOld = cell.Value
#If VBA6 Then ' Excel 2000 or later
sNew = Replace(Replace(Replace(sOld, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")
#Else ' Excel 97
With Application.WorksheetFunction
sRep = .Substitute(.Substitute(.Substitute(sOld, _
"~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")
End With
#End If
My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & sNew

Regards,
Peter T

"Monk" wrote in message
I get an error on the Replace part of the following code for people who are
still using Excel 97. I have tried using substitute instead but this also
does not seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & _

Replace(Replace(Replace(cell.Value, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your assistance Peter

I am getting a variable not defined error on the "sRep". Can you advise how
to fix this as well?

Regards

"Monk" wrote in message
I get an error on the Replace part of the following code for people who are
still using Excel 97. I have tried using substitute instead but this also
does not seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & _

Replace(Replace(Replace(cell.Value, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like your module is headed Option Explicit (good) which means any
routine that attempts to use an undeclared variable will halt. In the code I
posted I forgot to declare sRep!

Change
Dim sOld As String, sNew

Dim sOld As String, sNew As String, sRep As String

Regards,
Peter T

"Peter T" wrote:

Replace is n/a in Excel 07, along with various other string manipulation
functions. To cater for all versions do it like this

Dim sOld As String, sNew
'code

sOld = cell.Value
#If VBA6 Then ' Excel 2000 or later
sNew = Replace(Replace(Replace(sOld, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?",
"~?")
#Else ' Excel 97
With Application.WorksheetFunction
sRep = .Substitute(.Substitute(.Substitute(sOld, _
"~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?",
"~?")

"Monk" wrote in message
I get an error on the Replace part of the following code for people who
are
still using Excel 97. I have tried using substitute instead but this
also
does not seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & _

Replace(Replace(Replace(cell.Value, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Peter. I seem to have one final problem in that for 97 users the
resultant spreadsheet does not show any data. I think it may have to do with
this line on filtering; should it also have a reference to sRep?

My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & sNew

I have attached the full code if that will assist.

Cheers

'<<<< Create a new sheet for every Unique value

'This example copy all rows with the same value in the first column of
'the range to a new worksheet. It will do this for every unique value.
'The sheets will be named after the Unique value.

'Note: this example use the function LastRow in the ModReset module

Sub SeparateAdmin()
'Note: This macro use the function LastRow
Dim My_Range As Range
Dim FieldNum As Long
Dim CalcMode As Long
Dim ViewMode As Long
Dim ws2 As Worksheet
Dim Lrow As Long
Dim cell As Range
Dim CCount As Long
Dim WSNew As Worksheet
Dim ErrNum As Long
Dim sOld As String, sNew As String, sRep As String

'Set filter range on ActiveSheet: A11 is the top left cell of your
filter range
'and the header of the first column, D is the last column in the filter
range.
'You can also add the sheet name to the code like this :
'Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A11:D" & LastRow(Worksheets("Sheet1")))
'No need that the sheet is active then when you run the macro when you
use this.
Set My_Range = Range("A1:k" & LastRow(ActiveSheet))
My_Range.Parent.Select

If ActiveWorkbook.ProtectStructure = True Or _
My_Range.Parent.ProtectContents = True Then
MsgBox "Sorry, not working when the workbook or worksheet is
protected", _
vbOKOnly, "Copy to new worksheet"
Exit Sub
End If

'This example filters on the first column in the range(change the field
if needed)
'In this case the range starts in A so Field:=1 is column A, 2 = column
B, ......
FieldNum = 11

'Turn off AutoFilter
My_Range.Parent.AutoFilterMode = False

'Change ScreenUpdating, Calculation, EnableEvents, ....
With Application
CalcMode = .Calculation
.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
.ScreenUpdating = False
.EnableEvents = False
End With
ViewMode = ActiveWindow.View
ActiveWindow.View = xlNormalView
ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False

'Add a worksheet to copy the a unique list and add the CriteriaRange
Set ws2 = Worksheets.Add

With ws2
'first we copy the Unique data from the filter field to ws2
My_Range.Columns(FieldNum).AdvancedFilter _
Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
CopyToRange:=.Range("A1"), Unique:=True

'loop through the unique list in ws2 and filter/copy to a new sheet
Lrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For Each cell In .Range("A2:A" & Lrow)

'Filter the range
sOld = cell.Value
#If VBA6 Then ' Excel 2000 or later
sNew = Replace(Replace(Replace(sOld, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")
#Else ' Excel 97
With Application.WorksheetFunction
sRep = .Substitute(.Substitute(.Substitute(sOld, _
"~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")
End With
#End If
My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & sNew

'Check if there are no more then 8192 areas(limit of areas)
CCount = 0
On Error Resume Next
CCount = My_Range.Columns(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible ) _
.Areas(1).Cells.Count
On Error GoTo 0
If CCount = 0 Then
MsgBox "There are more than 8192 areas for the value : " &
cell.Value _
& vbNewLine & "It is not possible to copy the visible
data." _
& vbNewLine & "Tip: Sort your data before you use this
macro.", _
vbOKOnly, "Split in worksheets"
Else
'Add a new worksheet
Set WSNew = Worksheets.Add(After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count))
On Error Resume Next
WSNew.Name = cell.Value
If Err.Number 0 Then
ErrNum = ErrNum + 1
WSNew.Name = "Error_" & Format(ErrNum, "0000")
Err.Clear
End If
On Error GoTo 0

'Copy the visible data to the new worksheet
My_Range.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy
With WSNew.Range("A1")
' Paste:=8 will copy the columnwidth in Excel 2000 and
higher
' Remove this line if you use Excel 97
'.PasteSpecial Paste:=8
.PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
.PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats
Application.CutCopyMode = False
.Select
End With
End If

'Show all data in the range
My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum

Next cell

'Delete the ws2 sheet
On Error Resume Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
On Error GoTo 0

End With

'Turn off AutoFilter
My_Range.Parent.AutoFilterMode = False

If ErrNum 0 Then
MsgBox "Rename every WorkSheet name that start with ""Error_""
manually" _
& vbNewLine & "There are characters in the name that are not
allowed" _
& vbNewLine & "in a sheet name or the worksheet already exist."
End If
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Sheets("Combine Sheet").Select
ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.Delete
Range("A1").Select
Sheets("Kylie").Select
'Windows("AET Client List.xls").Activate
'ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=-2
'ActiveWindow.Close
'ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=-2
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

"Monk" wrote in message
I get an error on the Replace part of the following code for people who
are
still using Excel 97. I have tried using substitute instead but this
also
does not seem to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & _

Replace(Replace(Replace(cell.Value, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I must have been in a hurry when I posted that suggestion (I didn't test
it - sorry about that). Replace sRep with sNew.

Dim sOld As String, sNew As String
sOld = cell.Value
#If VBA6 Then ' Excel 2000 or later
sNew = Replace(Replace(Replace(sOld, "~", "~~"), "*", "~*"), "?", "~?")
#Else ' Excel 97
With Application.WorksheetFunction
sNew = .Substitute(.Substitute(.Substitute(sOld, _
End With
#End If
My_Range.AutoFilter Field:=FieldNum, Criteria1:="=" & sNew

If you have Excel2000 or later you should be able to to test both Replace
and Substitute methods and end up with the same result in sNew.

Regards,
Peter T