Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Create Interactive Web Page from Excel File

This is really a sanity check for me:

I have created a file that will generate random quizzes for the
engineers in my group. The file has several modules running in the
background to make everything work and also to capture metrics in a
hidden sheet. I realize I have forced Excel to act like a database
here but the file and all of the modules work flawlessly. My problem
is getting user feedback to roll up the metrics on results. I was
thinking that if I could somehow convert the file to html and maintain
the functionality of the VBA modules, I could have all users generate
and complete these quizzes on our intranet and I would be able to
capture the metrics. Right now I am using a tool similar to
SharePoint where users need to check the file out but nothin forces
them to check in their results. If they do poorly, they don't upload
those results and I have no visibility. This method also limits the
file to one user at a time. So...
1) Will the web method be a possibility and how hard would it be? (I
have no experience with this)
2) Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to handle this?
(Aside form starting over by developing in Access)

Thank you to whoever can help.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've used this befo
http://www.hkvstore.com/aspreportmaker/

I think it cost $100. It works great with an MS Access back end. As the
developers states, the tool can be used with any 'ADO data source', so Excel
should work fine. If you are feeling really ambitious, you may want to try
this:
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

It is totally free and very powerful!! Only one reason would prevent me
from full recommending this as a solution...it take a bit of work to get
acquainted with web development with VWD. It really depends on your appetite
for these types of things, but I would think it will take a good year or so
to get very proficient with VWD. However, you can probably find some video
tutorials online (there are many) and join some discussion groups (there are
many) and buy some books (there are many) and get up to speed with some BASIC
things in maybe a few weeks or month or so.

HTH,
Ryan--
--
Ryan---

"Glen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Glen,

This will come as a strange answer on a Microsoft newsgroup!

I do these a lot, but I use Adobe Dreamweaver as I need to get newbies
to create functional web applications quickly. You can use Access on
the back end, SQL Express (free), (or even Excel but forget that), but
your company may have SQL Server even.

The basic idea is, you would use the server model ASP, now called
Classic ASP (to differentiate from ASP.NET which has a big learning
curve and does not come easy to VBA chaps). The web page communicates
with the database via ODBC or some other driver. All this is included
in a normal Windows environment.

The great news for you is, DW does all the code writing, including
setting up the connection with the database from the wizards (called
'behaviours') and are very easy-to-use. VBA is much harder to learn.
Select VBScript as the programming language and the syntax will be
same as VBA.

You can give it a go with the 30-day trial version.

FYI: Visual Web Developer mentioned by ryguy7272 is ASP.NET.

Alternatively, you can make your existing Excel worksheets connect
with a database and work the same principle as a web application, with
VBA. I can send you a working example that works over the internet -
displays/update 2 million rows of data with a portable Excel workbook
of only 165 Kb.
(also creating some video tutorials on this methodology. Eventually
they will be here at www.askhiran.com )

Hiran