Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Trying to get DOM of web page

Recently, I have been working with webpages.
I had stumbled on a useful tool, and had it on my thumbdrive, but I have
since lost access to the thumb drive (broke).
What the tool did was to examine a web page, and then it would create a
excel worksheet that contained a list of all of the different elements in
the webpage, their types, etc.
I believe this was a exe or other stand alone item that created the exe, and
not a worksheet .
I dont care if it is an external program or in excel.
Does any body know of a utility that would do this or have some vba code
that would do this?

Thanks
Bruce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bruce

I think there are a lot of tools that would help you examine the DOM
of a webpage.

Try searching the web.

I just use Developer Tools (F12) which is available in IE8, or just
even View Source.

I can't see any advantage of getting the information in Excel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jul 30, 9:48*am, "Bruce" wrote:
Recently, I have been working with webpages.
I had stumbled on a useful tool, and had it on my thumbdrive, but I have
since lost access to the thumb drive (broke).
What the tool did was to examine a web page, and then it would create a
excel worksheet that contained a list of all of the different elements in
the webpage, their types, etc.
I believe this was a exe or other stand alone item that created the exe, and
not a worksheet .
I dont care if it is an external program or in excel.
Does any body know of a utility that would do this or have some vba code
that would do this?

Thanks
Bruce

hey Norie,
There are several reasons I am looking for excel output. First, I am
still a novice working with the web, I want to be THROUGH, and I am
working with excel, and working with the webpages from excel, to put
data into excel.

I would LIKE to create a MACRO for doing this. I am sure there is a
way to get the info with getelementsbyXXX. getelementsbytagname is
the closest of getting most items, but I am not sure of all of the
tags and then I need to figure out how to get its type etc. I cannot
find documentaion as to what options are available after I get the
collection.
Also, I want to learn for the future.

Thanks