Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Easy Peasy Explanation required

Conditional Formatting and the code is a puzzle to me, although I understand
its like maths with brackets etc.
What I'm after is the explanation of the code below.

=AND(G3<,DATE(YEAR(G3)+1,MONTH(G3),DAY(G3)) <=TODAY())

For instance
=AND
<
""
+1
(G3 and which right Parenthesis would this apply to?
()) Where do these apply?
<=TODAY I'm guessing that this implies the information to the left of
this is less than todays date?

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to follow written information, but once
explained and especially shown, I can remember and understand what was stated.

Thanks in anticipation
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If G3 is not empty AND the date in G3 + 1 year is earlier than today, format
it

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"Manxy" wrote in message
Conditional Formatting and the code is a puzzle to me, although I
understand
its like maths with brackets etc.
What I'm after is the explanation of the code below.

=AND(G3<"",DATE(YEAR(G3)+1,MONTH(G3),DAY(G3))<=TO DAY())

For instance
=AND
<
""
+1
(G3 and which right Parenthesis would this apply to?
()) Where do these apply?
<=TODAY I'm guessing that this implies the information to the left of
this is less than todays date?

Unfortunately, I find it difficult to follow written information, but once
explained and especially shown, I can remember and understand what was
stated.

Thanks in anticipation

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=AND --- Returns TRUE if all its arguments are TRUE; returns FALSE if one or
more argument is FALSE

< --- Not equal to

"" ---- Denotes blank entry

+1 --- +1 denotes addition of 1; (in the below formula year is incremented
by 1

(G3 and which right Parenthesis would this apply to? --- Arguments for
YEAR(), MONTH() and DAY()

()) Where do these apply? --- Closing braces for AND() and DATE()

<=TODAY I'm guessing that this implies the information to the left of
this is less than todays date? --- You are right. This will check whethr
the date returned using the function DATE() is less than or equal to current
date.

PS: Check out the help on DATE() function and AND() function. The below
formula would return TRUE if G3 not equal to blank and the date in G3 + 1
year is less than or equal to current date.

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria