Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Convert Full name in Intials

I have names in column A like (see below)

John Ali
Sue Gore
etc………

I need some kind of formula in column B or macro which should convert
these names in intials. So I want result in column B like (see below)

JA
SG
etc……….

Please can any friend can help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

give this a try

=LEFT(A1,1) &MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,1)

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"K" wrote in message
I have names in column A like (see below)

John Ali
Sue Gore
etc………

I need some kind of formula in column B or macro which should convert
these names in intials. So I want result in column B like (see below)

JA
SG
etc……….

Please can any friend can help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

here's a UDF to do this.

paste the code into a standard module ( ALT+F11 then Insert/Module)

then if your name is in A1 , in another cell type
=nameSplitter(A1)

Option Explicit

Function NameSplitter(text As String) As String
Dim names As Variant
Dim i As Long
names = Split(text, " ")
For i = LBound(names, 1) To UBound(names, 1)
NameSplitter = NameSplitter & Left(names(i), 1)
Next
End Function

how it works. the text is split into an array by the SPLIT() function, using
the space as the item deliminator. Names is a variant which SPLIT()
populates. we read each block of text, taking the first letter only (using
the LEFT() string function, and concatenate these for each of the items in
Names).