Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how do i get the Genetic Algorithm in Excel Solver?

I need to use the Genetic algorithm feature in Solver to globally solve a
non-linear blending problem. I have used What's Best to obtain a local
optimum which is not satisfactory. I need help.
Regards
Alimaliyu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I need to use the Genetic algorithm feature in Solver to globally
solve ...

Solver Uses Generalized Reduced Gradient Algorithm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/82890

My guess is that you've locked onto a local minimum (or maximum) and not
the global solution.

Try different starting values, or keep adding tighter constraints in the
direction you think is a better solution.

Make sure your model isn't using functions like IF, Max, Min, Lookup,...etc
= = = = =
HTH Dana DeLouis

Alimaliyu wrote:
I need to use the Genetic algorithm feature in Solver to globally solve a
non-linear blending problem. I have used What's Best to obtain a local
optimum which is not satisfactory. I need help.
Regards
Alimaliyu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alimaliyu,

The solver that is included in Excel does not have a genetic algorithm
(only a generalized reduced gradient search). However, a Global solver
is availible in What'sBest if you have the Global option. You can
select WB!|Options|Global Solver and check the box for Global Solver
to use it. As an alternative, a lot of blending models can be
linearized. There may be a way to reformulate the model in a linear
fashion.

Regards,
Mark Wiley
LINDO Systems

On Jul 26, 6:53*am, Alimaliyu
wrote:
I need to use the Genetic algorithm feature in Solver to globally solve a
non-linear blending problem. I have used What's Best to obtain a local
optimum which is not satisfactory. I need help.
Regards
Alimaliyu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Linear reformulation is out of the question.
The GA in Excel solver comes with the Premium Solver version which has to be
installed separately and costs more than my Sony Vaio. thanks for your
Alimaliyu