Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HELP... Pivot table sorting

Hello, My pivot table (on a seperate sheet in V2003) seems to sort my data
in an entirely random order.
It is not in the order that the iems appear in the original data, and it is
not in size or alphabetical order, and what's more, I can't change the
order, even if I use 'Sort & Top 10' or Advanced 'Field Settings'.

Why is this? What can I do to sort it?

I have to ba able to determine the order? - Ideally it would be in the order
that the iems appear in the original list, but if that's not possible, I
could probably fiddle it, if I could sort it at all!

I really hope someone can help

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
Max Max is offline

You've got responses already to your earlier posting a couple of days ago, re
this link:

http://tinyurl.com/ms8poe

--
Max
Singapore
"Michelle" wrote:
Hello, My pivot table (on a seperate sheet in V2003) seems to sort my data
in an entirely random order.
It is not in the order that the iems appear in the original data, and it is
not in size or alphabetical order, and what's more, I can't change the
order, even if I use 'Sort & Top 10' or Advanced 'Field Settings'.

Why is this? What can I do to sort it?

I have to ba able to determine the order? - Ideally it would be in the order
that the iems appear in the original list, but if that's not possible, I
could probably fiddle it, if I could sort it at all!

I really hope someone can help

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel

Yes, but with the greatest possible respect, they (you) haven't addressed my
problem. One of them (yours) even said I should do what I've already done
(and said in my post did not work).

I was hoping for more accurate responses

Love ya

"Michelle" wrote:
Hello, My pivot table (on a seperate sheet in V2003) seems to sort my
data
in an entirely random order.
It is not in the order that the iems appear in the original data, and it
is
not in size or alphabetical order, and what's more, I can't change the
order, even if I use 'Sort & Top 10' or Advanced 'Field Settings'.

Why is this? What can I do to sort it?

I have to ba able to determine the order? - Ideally it would be in the
order
that the iems appear in the original list, but if that's not possible, I
could probably fiddle it, if I could sort it at all!

I really hope someone can help

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

you should use the ADVANCED field settings to do this and yes, you should be
able to change the order.
If you'd like to send me your workbook I could take a look for you.
patrick_molloyATMOSPAMhotmail.com
change ATMOSPAM to @

"Michelle" wrote in message
Hello, My pivot table (on a seperate sheet in V2003) seems to sort my data
in an entirely random order.
It is not in the order that the iems appear in the original data, and it
is not in size or alphabetical order, and what's more, I can't change the
order, even if I use 'Sort & Top 10' or Advanced 'Field Settings'.

Why is this? What can I do to sort it?

I have to ba able to determine the order? - Ideally it would be in the
order that the iems appear in the original list, but if that's not
possible, I could probably fiddle it, if I could sort it at all!

I really hope someone can help

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel
Max Max is offline

You should have replied to the responses in your original thread. That's the
proper way to engage responders and ensure continuity in discussions. Silence
never serves any purpose. If what was suggested didn't work for you, tell us.
How else are we responders to know the outcomes over there?
--
"Michelle" wrote:
Yes, but with the greatest possible respect, they (you) haven't addressed my
problem. One of them (yours) even said I should do what I've already done
(and said in my post did not work).

I was hoping for more accurate responses

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the offer, as is so often the way, I've found a bit of a fix. Not
perfect, but it'll do the job for now. Although the order isn't the order
that I want, I can force any new entries to appear at the bottom - which
allows me to do what I need. But thanks anyway. The problem was with event
procedures on the sheet - the 'SheetChange' event was being triggered by my
sorting which was refreshing the table and therefore 'unsorting' it.

Thank you anyway.

"Michelle" wrote in message
Hello, My pivot table (on a seperate sheet in V2003) seems to sort my
data in an entirely random order.
It is not in the order that the iems appear in the original data, and it
is not in size or alphabetical order, and what's more, I can't change the
order, even if I use 'Sort & Top 10' or Advanced 'Field Settings'.

Why is this? What can I do to sort it?

I have to ba able to determine the order? - Ideally it would be in the
order that the iems appear in the original list, but if that's not
possible, I could probably fiddle it, if I could sort it at all!

I really hope someone can help

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

if your sorting is done by VBA code, then you can switch off the events
trigger

put this at the start
APPLICATION.ENABLEEVENTS = FALSE

remember to add this at the end of your process
APPLICATION.ENABLEEVENTS = TRUE

so when the process sorts, the change event doesn't get fired