Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Export a module to .bas file - No Password

If I export a module (from personal.xlsb) to a .bas file, and then import the
file into another users personal.xlsb, the module doesn't ask for a password
to view the code. On my personal.xlsb it prompts for the password. How do I
password protect this code?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel_Newb wrote:
If I export a module (from personal.xlsb) to a .bas file, and then import the
file into another users personal.xlsb, the module doesn't ask for a password
to view the code. On my personal.xlsb it prompts for the password. How do I
password protect this code?

If you look at a bas file you will see there's nothing particularly
special about it, it's just plain text. I take from this there is no way
to make the bas file aware it should be protected in any way.

Why not save the module in its own workbook as an add-in? This will lock
out prying eyes to a reasonable (but not infallible) degree.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How so? Are you thinking plain text is somehow less subject to
IP/copyright protection? I am no legal expert here, but I do not think
so. IOW, if you claim copyright on your original work, that shall prevail.

"smartin" wrote:

Excel_Newb wrote:
If I export a module (from personal.xlsb) to a .bas file, and then import the
file into another users personal.xlsb, the module doesn't ask for a password
to view the code. On my personal.xlsb it prompts for the password. How do I
password protect this code?

If you look at a bas file you will see there's nothing particularly
special about it, it's just plain text. I take from this there is no way
to make the bas file aware it should be protected in any way.

Why not save the module in its own workbook as an add-in? This will lock
out prying eyes to a reasonable (but not infallible) degree.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No sorry, I was misleading. I was speaking more to the realm of hiding code
from a customer that you wanted to sale the module to. If the code is in
plain text, essentially they can reverse engineer what you have done.

Again, this is not the case for me, I was just curious as to why the
password properties doesn't follow in the event of an export. I realize that
it's a function of the VBA in Excel, and not the .bas file itself. But was
just curious if there is a way to export the code and keep the protected
state (similar to a class).

"smartin" wrote:

Excel_Newb wrote:
If I export a module (from personal.xlsb) to a .bas file, and then import the
file into another users personal.xlsb, the module doesn't ask for a password
to view the code. On my personal.xlsb it prompts for the password. How do I
password protect this code?
If you look at a bas file you will see there's nothing particularly
special about it, it's just plain text. I take from this there is no way
to make the bas file aware it should be protected in any way.

Why not save the module in its own workbook as an add-in? This will lock
out prying eyes to a reasonable (but not infallible) degree.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

No worries. An add-in (password protected--duh I forgot to mention that
little detail earlier) containing the module(s) will provide a measure
of protection.

Should you find yourself in a real-world scenario, those who author and
provide [Excel] code for free or otherwise can probably speak better to
the intellectual property concerns.