Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FGM FGM is offline

Default http link

I am having trouble in excel vs2002 with an if statement that I am trying to
build a hyperlink in.
If D4 if blank I want it to remain blank but if it is not I want to build a
http link.
It comes back but just as text. Doing a find replace after for the = sign
makes it a formula and works. Would like to do it without the find replace.
thanks..

=IF($D4="","","='"&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-yy")&".xls]Daily
Schedule'!$AT$54")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Jul 20, 8:29*am, FGM wrote:
I am having trouble in excel vs2002 with an if statement that I am trying to
build a hyperlink in.
If D4 if blank I want it to remain blank but if it is not I want to build a
http link.
It comes back but just as text. *Doing a find replace after for the = sign
makes it a formula and works. *Would like to do it without the find replace.
thanks..

=IF($D4="","","='"&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-yy")&".xls]Daily
Schedule'!$AT$54")

FGM,

Did you try embedding the HYPERLINK function in your IF function?

Best,

Matthew Herbert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FGM FGM is offline

The same thing happens when I use HYPELINK. It comes back as text. If I go
in and edit the equal sign and hit enter or use find then it comes back as a
formula. Anyone else have a solution please ..thank you.
=IF($D4="","","=HYPERLINK("&""""&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-yy")&".xls]Daily
Schedule!$AT$54"&""""&")")

"Matthew Herbert" wrote:

On Jul 20, 8:29 am, FGM wrote:
I am having trouble in excel vs2002 with an if statement that I am trying to
build a hyperlink in.
If D4 if blank I want it to remain blank but if it is not I want to build a
http link.
It comes back but just as text. Doing a find replace after for the = sign
makes it a formula and works. Would like to do it without the find replace.
thanks..

=IF($D4="","","='"&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-yy")&".xls]Daily
Schedule'!$AT$54")

FGM,

Did you try embedding the HYPERLINK function in your IF function?

Best,

Matthew Herbert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Matthew Herbert" wrote:
On Jul 20, 8:29 am, FGM wrote:
I am having trouble in excel vs2002 with an if statement that I am trying to
build a hyperlink in.
If D4 if blank I want it to remain blank but if it is not I want to build a
http link.
It comes back but just as text. *Doing a find replace after for the = sign
makes it a formula and works. *Would like to do it without the find replace.
thanks..

=IF($D4="","","='"&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-yy")&".xls]Daily
Schedule'!$AT$54")

FGM,

Did you try embedding the HYPERLINK function in your IF function?

Best,

Matthew Herbert- Hide quoted text -

FGM,

You shouldn't need the double quote or the = before HYPERLINK nor the
double quote at the end. The result of the FALSE statement comes back
as text because you enclosed the string in double quotes. (And I'm
not sure why you have blank double quotes in at least two spots within
the HYPERLINK formula). What is your hyperlink supposed to look like,
i.e. can you post the raw text of ("&""""&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-
yy")&".xls]Dail*y Schedule!$AT$54"&""""&"? (Or, are you looking to
get a value from the listed workbook/worksheet/cell? You may be
looking for the INDIRECT function).

Be sure to read help file on the IF function, and more particuallarly
on the HYPERLINK function (which accepts the link_location as text).
Also, see the examples for these functions.

Best,

Matt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Matthew Herbert" wrote:
On Jul 20, 8:29 am, FGM wrote:
[...]

Matt- Hide quoted text -

FGM,

Sorry about the double quote comment, I was thinking about something
else at the time. However, another alternative is to build your
string text (i.e. the text before and after your TEXT function) in
another cell and then reference this cell in the HYPERLINK forumla
within the IF formula. (Or at least building it this way will help
reveal where potential errors may occur. Then you can "smash"
everything together again).

Best,

Matt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
FGM FGM is offline

Your input is greatly appreciated. HYPERLINK may not be the right function.
I am not trying to create a link that will bring back the information store
in the specified cell from the workbook that I am trying to link to.

Suggestions still welcomed.

ps your way of doing the HYPERLINK works to create a HYPERLINK address.

On Jul 20, 10:52 am, FGM wrote:

The same thing happens when I use HYPELINK. It comes back as text. If I go
in and edit the equal sign and hit enter or use find then it comes back as a
formula. Anyone else have a solution please ..thank you.
=IF($D4="","","=HYPERLINK("&""""&$A$1&"["&F$3&TEXT($D4,"m-d-yy")&".xls]DailÂ*Â*y
Schedule!$AT$54"&""""&")")

"Matthew Herbert" wrote:
On Jul 20, 8:29 am, FGM wrote:
[...]

yy")&".xls]DailÂ*y Schedule!$AT$54"&""""&"? (Or, are you looking to
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Matthew Herbert" wrote:
On Jul 20, 8:29 am, FGM wrote:
[...]

If you are looking to reference, or link to, a cell from another
workbook, then you need your formula to include the folder address,
workbook, worksheet, and cell address. For example, linking to
another workbook might look like the following:

='folder path\[workbook]worksheet'!address
='P:\Matt\VBA\RCAG\[RCAG (2009-06-26) v10.xls]PercentileCalc'!$BR$37

So, what you can do is open the workbook you want to link to, link a
cell from your current workbook to the recently opened workbook that
you are linking to, and then close the workbook you linked to. With
the workbook open, the formula will look like the following:

='[RCAG (2009-06-26) v10.xls]PercentileCalc'!$BR$37

With the workbook closed, the formula will change to the following:
='P:\Matt\VBA\RCAG\[RCAG (2009-06-26) v10.xls]PercentileCalc'!$BR$37

Try building your text string following a similar hierarchical path as
listed above (don't forget the single quotes or exclamation) and see
if that gets you where you want.

Best,

Matt

Pasting HTTP 'without' it being a clickable link?? Robert Blass Excel Worksheet Functions 2 September 26th 08 10:52 AM
ADODB over HTTP? LDB Excel Programming 3 June 18th 07 09:15 AM
start http://..... vs hyperlink http://..... ton de w Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 May 4th 07 01:42 PM
HTTP link in Excel Subs Excel Programming 1 April 2nd 06 09:07 PM