Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Should VBA Developers be worried?

Hello!

There seems to be a rumor going around about Microsoft rolling out a web
version of Office.

http://lifehacker.com/5310878/micros...-office-monday

If it were true, how is a Web Version of office going to affect VBA
Developers? As a developer who makes a living from programs developed in VBA,
should I be worried? Is the web version going to be VBA Compatible? (And how?)

Best regards,

Albert C
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My opinion, for what its worth ;)

I think that institutions are generally reluctant to migrate their
applications to newer versions for a year or two, until the "bugs" get
ironed out. So while i think VBA will "may" be killed off, it'll be around
for a long time -- I doubt that 95% of Excel users would sacrifice the
ability to write quick and easy macros!! For developers, yes, .NET and C#
are the way forwards, and web applications are getting better and better.
Don't be worried ... just get to grips with this fascinating technology.

"Albert" wrote in message
Hello!

There seems to be a rumor going around about Microsoft rolling out a web
version of Office.

http://lifehacker.com/5310878/micros...-office-monday

If it were true, how is a Web Version of office going to affect VBA
Developers? As a developer who makes a living from programs developed in
VBA,
should I be worried? Is the web version going to be VBA Compatible? (And
how?)

Best regards,

Albert C

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Patrick:
Thank you very much for your reply.

If I may bother you again:
Regarding .NET and C#, what advice could you give a proffessional VBA
devoloper not wanting to be left behind by techology? How would you go about
making the "switch"? I have been working succesfully with VB for years, but I
have no experience with .NET or C#. In fact, I don't even know how to create
an interaction between Excel and those languages!

Thanks in advance,

Albert C.