Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default conditional formatting

Hi,

Could you tell me how i can apply conditional formatting rules to all sheets
in a excel 2007 workbook?

Also, can you copy rules from file to file?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Second try --- grrrrr....
You may select multiple sheets in a workbook in 2 ways:
Select any sheet, hold down the [Ctrl] key while selecting any others, they
will become part of a group, and most changes made will be made to all
selected.
Select all sheets: select the first sheet in the workbook, bring the last
sheet in the workbook into view and hold down the [Shift] key and select it.
All sheets will now be selected as a group.

Conditional formatting does get applied to all selected sheets. To unselect
the group, just click on any non-selected sheet, or if all are selected,
select any individual sheet.

If you copy cells that have conditional formatting applied from one workbook
into another, the formatting will go with the copy.

"Mark" wrote:

Hi,

Could you tell me how i can apply conditional formatting rules to all sheets
in a excel 2007 workbook?

Also, can you copy rules from file to file?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi there,

thanks for your reply - i am still confused tho. When i select the group as
you suggest, the conditional formatting button is greyed out and disabled!?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

"Mark" wrote:

Hi,

Could you tell me how i can apply conditional formatting rules to all sheets
in a excel 2007 workbook?

Also, can you copy rules from file to file?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Let me guess - you're using Excel 2007, right?

It works as I explained in Excel 2003 (and probably earlier) - but I just
checked in 2007, and as you say, when multiple sheets are selected in it,
conditional formatting is not available.

You might try this on a copy of your workbook: set up the conditional
formats on a single sheet the way you need them to be, then select all the
cells and Copy them to the clipboard. Go to another sheet and use Edit --
Paste Special and check off the "Formats" option. I haven't tested that, but
seems it ought to work. I suppose you could test with just a few cells from
one sheet to another as a quick check to see if it has any hope of working in
2007 at all.

"Mark" wrote:

Hi,

Could you tell me how i can apply conditional formatting rules to all sheets
in a excel 2007 workbook?

Also, can you copy rules from file to file?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Late thought - I suppose, in Excel 2007, you could set up the conditional
formatting in a single sheet as you need it to be and then just copy that
sheet as many times as needed. Of course, this solution only works well at
the very outset of your project, not after you have varying data in existing
sheets that also need the same formatting. In that case, my previous
suggestion of using Copy with Paste Special / Formats may be the only way
out, if it works.