Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extra Workbook Security via 3rd Party Software

Does anyone know of a GOOD program that can make the security on Excel workbooks much better? Please help.

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Which aspect of security in Excel are you talking about.

Regards,
Peter T

"Dennis Tucker" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a GOOD program that can make the security on Excel
workbooks much better? Please help.

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK so it sounds like you need to protect both your data and your code, which
is two very different things. There is no other a spreadsheet product that's
fully secure yet similar in all other respects to Excel, if that's what your
original question was.

Regarding the code maybe simply password protecting the project might be
enough, that will deter most users though not those who hang around here.

It's difficult to make any suggestions about what to do with the data with
the limited information you have given.

Regards,
Peter T

So don't let your users ever get hold of that workbook.
"Dennis Tucker" wrote in message
Peter,

I have both sensitive data within some worksheets and macros that I do not
want anyone to see.

Dennis

Which aspect of security in Excel are you talking about.

Regards,
Peter T

"Dennis Tucker" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a GOOD program that can make the security on Excel
workbooks much better? Please help.

Dennis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Peter,

Thanks for the response. I'm writing an applet in Excel/VBA. I want to
"Lock Down" everything in the workbook. The only thing I want to share is
the interaction through the Userforms. I do not want my users to access the
worksheets or the macro code. I want to know if there is any software
available that will make my Excel/VBA project any more secure(from hacking
or otherwise). The Excel utilities for this are lame!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Depending on how important and the required level of security you might want
to look at building your app in .NET or even VB6 (which still as a little
life left in it and is by far the easiest to migrate to, also the most
secure). You could automate a hidden instance of Excel in which to maintain
and process your data further.

If your objective is merely to stop normal users from interfering, most will
be deterred if you lock the project (most would not even know what to do if
they got into the project). Excel can be turned pretty much into a dictator
application, and sensitive sheets hidden as xlVeryhidden.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Peter,

Thanks. Dang, I was hoping there might be something available to help with
this. I thought about moving the project to VB6. For now, it looks like I
will have to due with existing Excel security features.