Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GM GM is offline

Default Subtotal Function response is slow

hi,

I have one application, where data is being selected from database using sql
and then data is put in 3 excel worksheets. once data is copied from
recordset, I am doing some formatting and using excel subtotal function in a
loop for 3 worksheets. I have observed that subtotal for 1 worksheet is
completing in 4 secs and for 2 nd worksheet it takes 11 sec and for 3rd
worksheet it takes 20 sec.

Is there any way to improve this performace. If takes 4 sec for first
worksheet, i am not sure why it is taking more time for subsequent worksheets?

any help in this matter is highly appreciated.
GM
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The subtotal function is just plain slow. It has to insert rows and such so
there is no way around it. Why not use a pivot table instead. You can hook it
directly to your data source with your existing SQL. You will not have to
fill 3 worksheets with data. You will get all of your subtotals. It is just a
much cleaner solution and lightning fast in comparison.

Just my 2 cents.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson