Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Counting the Occurances and find the Latest Date

Hello to All,

I have a large spreadsheet that I need to condense down. Each record on the
spreadsheet is an item and in the first column there is an item number and in
Column N there is a the date the item was ordered. The items repeat for
every time they were ordered. So if an item was ordered 500 times there will
be 500 records for that item with dates, and the dates could repeat if the
item was ordered multiple times in the same day. I've looked around and
haven't quite found what I need. I am hoping there is a way to automate this
as the people who use this aren't so computer savvy.

I hope I'm being clear, but I'll say it again. Column A has the item number
and they can repeat, I need to count how many times an item is ordered (for
each item on the spreadsheet, there could be hundreds of different items) and
then take the latest date that the item was ordered.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Forgot to mention that once I have the total number of occurances and the
latest date I need to place the number next to the date column and remove all
the other records - they are no longer needed.

"yoshimarine" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

first use Data/AutoFilter to extract a unique list of items

lest say the list is in column X
then in the cell to the right, in Y add this formula

=COUNTIF(N:N,X1)

and replicate down

we can code it, but a worksheet method works easily here.

"yoshimarine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On May 21, 10:51*am, yoshimarine
wrote:
[...]

Yoshimarine,

This is assuming that your data starts on row 4 and even though the
formulas listed contain a small range, simply modify the formulas as
needed to fit your data set. A2, B2, and C2 contain the following
data and/or formulas, respectively: item number (this is the desired
item number to "lookup," manually enter this), =COUNTIF(A4:A9,A2), and
=IF(A4:A9=A2,MAX(N4:N9),"") - note that the "IF" formula is an array
formula, which is commissioned with Ctrl + Shift + Enter, pressed
simultaneously.

Best,

Matthew Herbert
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

items in A
dates in N

data / autofiltered list of items in X

In Y, to count items
=COUNTIF(A1:A500:,X1)

in Z to get max date, this ARRAY Formula:
=MAX((A1:A500=X1)*(N1:N500))

for the max date, again formula

so in Z

=MAX((N1:N500=X1)*(E))