Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Default Do While Loop

I'm having trouble with something kinda simple and hoping someone can
set me straight. All I want to do is go to the end of my 'do while'
loop and run the loop again; I don't want to exit the loop (which is
what 'exit do' will do).

My code looks like this:

***
do while 'something is true'
if var1 = var2 then
'do nothing here when if statement is true
else if 'used for false if statement
statement inserted here to change value of var1
goto "loop" 'this is where my problem is
end if
'more code here that should only run when above IF statement is
true.
loop
***
How do I get my code to loop without exiting my loop when my IF
statement is false?

Thanks,

~tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

Insert a label. Note the colon at the end of the label name. Don't use the
colon in the GoTo.

Do While something Is True '
If var1 = var2 Then
'do nothing here when if statement is true
Else
GoTo loopAgain
End If
'more code here that should only run when above IF statement is true.

loopAgain:
Loop

OssieMac

"Tom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Without seeing your actual code, it is a little hard to tell, but, assuming
the "something is true" has nothing to do with var1, does this structure
work for you?

Do While 'something is true'
If var1 = var2 Then
' Code that should run when above comparison is True
Else

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tom" wrote:
do while 'something is true'
if var1 = var2 then
'do nothing here when if statement is true
else if 'used for false if statement
statement inserted here to change value of var1
goto "loop" 'this is where my problem is
end if
'more code here that should only run when above IF statement is true.
loop

do while "condition"
if var1 = var2 then
'do nothing
else
var1 = ...
goto continue
end if
' more code
continue:
loop

Arguably better:

do while "condition"
if var1 < var2 then
var1 = ...
goto continue
end if
' more code
loop

Arguably best:

do while "condition"
if var1 < var2 then
var1 = ...
else
' more code
end if
loop

Or:

do while "condition"
if var1 = var2 then
' more code
else
var1 = ...
end if
loop

But you and I both know that sometimes a short IF statement and a
"structured" GOTO improves readability.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

dim cont as boolean
do While {condition}
cont = FALSE
IF {condition 1} Then
{do something}
cont = True
ELSE IF {condition 2} Then
{do something}
cont = True
Else
{do something}
End If

IF Cont then
{do something}
End If
Loop

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Tom Tom is offline

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.