Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Must VBA be manually converted to VB.NET (C++;C#) to create a DLL or Com Addin?

2003, 2007

For whatever reason(s), getting information on this issue seems to be a real challenge.

After doing quite a bit of reading, it appears that one Must manually convert VBA to VB.NET (C++;C#)
to create a DLL or Com Addin?

Would someone please put me out of my misery? I keep hoping that there is a better way of
protecting VBA code.

At this point, I realize that procedures written in VBA and "compiled" with VB6 can make it to a DLL

But, since I do not have VB6, it appears that I can use C++, or C# or VB.NET to get the code to a
DLL - but I must translate each line of my VBA code to the respective alt language.

TIA EagleOne

(Any thoughts helpful - I HAVE SUCH A HEADACKE on this issue.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Drag a module from Excel's IDE directly onto your desktop. If you have
Visual Studio 5 or 2008, then double clicking the file will open the module
in that app and you can run the VB6 BVB.Net converter

wrote in message
2003, 2007

For whatever reason(s), getting information on this issue seems to be a
real challenge.

After doing quite a bit of reading, it appears that one Must manually
convert VBA to VB.NET (C++;C#)
to create a DLL or Com Addin?

Would someone please put me out of my misery? I keep hoping that there is
a better way of
protecting VBA code.

At this point, I realize that procedures written in VBA and "compiled"
with VB6 can make it to a DLL

But, since I do not have VB6, it appears that I can use C++, or C# or
VB.NET to get the code to a
DLL - but I must translate each line of my VBA code to the respective alt
language.

TIA EagleOne

(Any thoughts helpful - I HAVE SUCH A HEADACKE on this issue.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pat,

My gosh! What/Where is the "access point" into the VB6 VB.Net Converter? I have C++; C# and will
have VS 2010 today. Is the VB.Net Converter built in?

Thanks EagleOne

"Patrick Molloy" wrote:

Drag a module from Excel's IDE directly onto your desktop. If you have
Visual Studio 5 or 2008, then double clicking the file will open the module
in that app and you can run the VB6 BVB.Net converter

wrote in message
.. .
2003, 2007

For whatever reason(s), getting information on this issue seems to be a
real challenge.

After doing quite a bit of reading, it appears that one Must manually
convert VBA to VB.NET (C++;C#)
to create a DLL or Com Addin?

Would someone please put me out of my misery? I keep hoping that there is
a better way of
protecting VBA code.

At this point, I realize that procedures written in VBA and "compiled"
with VB6 can make it to a DLL

But, since I do not have VB6, it appears that I can use C++, or C# or
VB.NET to get the code to a
DLL - but I must translate each line of my VBA code to the respective alt
language.

TIA EagleOne

(Any thoughts helpful - I HAVE SUCH A HEADACKE on this issue.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

its built in

open Visual Studio
File/Open and browse to the module on your desktop --- assuming that you
dragged it there. Its a .BAS file
Open it in VS
Open its code view - that should be showing anyway
Under Tools there's a "Update Visual Basic 6 Code.." command, click on it
and the BAS module will be updated

"Patrick Molloy" wrote:

Drag a module from Excel's IDE directly onto your desktop. If you have
Visual Studio 5 or 2008, then double clicking the file will open the
module
in that app and you can run the VB6 BVB.Net converter

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

While I haven't used any of the .NET products personally, it is my
understanding that the VB6 VB.NET Converter leaves a **lot** to be desired
(tending to leave lots of lines of code not converted thus requiring the
programmer to convert them by hand)... people who have dealt with it have
told me it is probably best to use your VB6 program as a guide and simply
rewrite the program in your VB.NET version from scratch (taking advantage of
the new constructs available in the VB.NET program... once you learn them,
that is<g).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Pat,

Finally information with which I can move forward. Thanks; Thanks!

FYI, I am installing VS 2010 Beta 1 as we speak. I'll post back when I determine if all is well.

EagleOne

"Patrick Molloy" wrote:

its built in

open Visual Studio
File/Open and browse to the module on your desktop --- assuming that you
dragged it there. Its a .BAS file
Open it in VS
Open its code view - that should be showing anyway
Under Tools there's a "Update Visual Basic 6 Code.." command, click on it
and the BAS module will be updated

.. .

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To both Rick & Pat

After downloading Visual Server 2010 beta, I have yet to actually attempt to compile to a DLL. This
I will do tomorrow.

That said, I understand that the VS 2008 issue of compiling only to a DLL for XL 2007, has been
overcome.

I love the interface DLL DLL Com Addin also the documentation seems great.

I'll post back tomorrow the plus's and minus's.

EagleOne