Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Confused on MS Products to Create COM addin

Daniel, thanks for the info. I was looking on MS web site for Office
Developer about product to create COM addins and I am confused on what
product to purchase. I need the COM addin to work in Office 2000,
Office XP and Office 2003. They have references to:

0 Microsoft Office XP Developer - but it appears that product
is discontinued.
0 Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office System. This looks
it will create a COM addin.
0 Visual Studio .NET 2003 - This sounds that whatever it produces
will only work with Office 2003.

Any help in clarifying the confusing MS marketing material is appreciated.

Daniel Klann wrote:

Bill,

Unfortunately what the websites claim is correct regarding protection

of the
VBA project. I purchased a password cracking tool a couple of years ago
(for legitimate purposes) and it can break any password. For example, I
protect a project using this complex and long password (32 chars):-

%^ll-02-+$j';L*30)65Jï£AKJ%_!~2

Because of the encryption algorithm used there are many possible
combinations that could be used to break this e.g. T8H would unlock a VBA
project protected with the above password. The encryption used for

the file
password in Excel is stronger than anything else used in Excel but

can still
be broken. In this case it is worth using a password that is long and
complex.

Anyway, creating your own COM addin is a fairly straightforward task

but you
need to have software that will allow you to create it e.g. Office

Developer
Edition, Microsoft Visual Basic .NET, Microsoft C++ and Microsoft Visual
Basic 6. Office Developer is probably the easiest method of

converting an
existing project into a COM addin.

Hope that helps,
Daniel

Excel tips 'n' tricks - http://www.danielklann.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If it creates a COM component it should be compatible with any product that
supports COM.

That's the sales-pitch anyway.

This thread appears to be a bit broken up, I can't see the original post,
what are you trying to do?

Daniel Klann wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am trying to provide better protection of the VBA addin than is
provided by the password protection capability. My understanding is you
can convert it to a COM addin using something like MS Office Developer.
I do not see that product listed on the MS website so I was asking
about which product would be best to use. I need the COM addin to work
in Office 2000, Office XP and Office 2003. I wanted some user
experience on which product to purchase.