Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default products expected to grow 1.56% create a formula

Sales of products in february are expected to grow by 1.56% over January
sales, create a formula.
Example :
January 143
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

E=MC^2
Not original, but a nice formula none the less.

Homework? Sounds like a homework question, best left for the student to
solve?

A clue, any value multiplied by 100% + an increased percentage will result
in a value that represents the original value increased by the growth
percentage. All formulas in Excel begin with the = symbol. Formulas may
reference other cells and literal values.

If this isn't a homework question -

"Marquin" wrote:

Sales of products in february are expected to grow by 1.56% over January
sales, create a formula.
Example :
January 143

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Marquin wrote:
Sales of products in february are expected to grow by 1.56% over January
sales, create a formula. Example : January 143

Well, this __is__ m.p.e.NEWUSERS. So a "dumb" question is not
necessarily "homework". (By the way, there are no dumb question.)

To answer your question: if 143 is in B1, then in B2 you might put:

=B1*(1+1.56%)

If you want an integer like 143, you can adjust the format (click
Format Cells Number Number and select 0 Decimal Places). Or you
might change the formula as follows:

=round(B1*(1+1.56%), 0)

There are pros and cons for each method, and each can be the better
answer in different circumstances.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I thought of that also, it gave me some concern. Had the OP returned and
said simply, no - not homework, I would have given more than just the clue.
One thing that pushed me in the Homework direction was the specific wording
of the request - reads like out of a text book and had no comment like "my
boss has..." or "I know nothing of Excel and..." or "I know that the formula
is... but don't know how to put that into Excel"...

Never my intent to be rude here, however, I also believe that students
should learn or be guided rather than simply be handed the answer. But I've
seen questions that appeared to be homework here turn out to be otherwise
before, after it was asked "Homework?"