Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default A taxonomy of methods and properties

I'm spinning up on VBA/Excel at http://www.anthony-vba.kefra.com/vba/vbabasic2.htm.

Where can one find a navigatable tree of frequently used member
methods and properties, similar to what one might find for matlab
objects?

I suspect that a tree of frequently used members would be more useful
to a newbie than a comprehensive tree (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

VBA's help is very nice.

Say you want to find out about Ranges.

type this:
dim aa as Range
Put the cursor in the word "Range" and hit F1

Then select:
Range property as it applies to the Application, Range, and Worksheet objects.

Then click on the Range link in this sentence:
Returns a Range object that represents a cell or a range of cells.

You'll see properties and methods that apply to the Range object.

Methods are like verbs (that do something and Properties are like adjectives
(that describe a feature of that object).

You can also use the Object Browser within the VBE.
Open the VBE
Hit F2
Search for Range

And you'll see lots of info.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Wow. VBA is a lot more complicated than I suspected. It could take
some familiarization to navigate. Is there a website that explains
how all the fields and panes relate to each other?

wrote:

I'm spinning up on VBA/Excel athttp://www.anthony-vba.kefra.com/vba/vbabasic2.htm.

Where can one find a navigatable tree of frequently used member
methods and properties, similar to what one might find for matlab
objects?

I suspect that a tree of frequently used members would be more useful
to a newbie than a comprehensive tree (correct me if I'm wrong).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm sure that there is at least one--maybe you could search MSDN.com for any
specific question.

But I'd start with VBA's built-in help.