Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default 2003-2007 xlsm-2003 loses worksheet commandbutton functionality

I have a workbook that was (I think) originally created in 2003. I inherited
it as a workbook that had three worksheets, no macros, no activeX controls,
etc. To clean up data entry, I added a commandbutton (from the 'control
toolbox' toolbar) that opens a userform, and hid the rest of the sheets.
Since I use XL2003, I saved it as an XLS file.

I then sent it to my boss, who is on XL2007. He opened it, tested it, and
approved it. Since 70% of our widely dispersed department uses XL2007, I
asked him to save the file as an xlsm., then sent it back to me to post on a
sharepoint site for our team. Before doing so, I tried to open the file to
check something- and got the following error message:

"This file was created in a newer version of Microsoft Excel. The file has
been converted to a format you can work with, but the following issues were
encountered. The file has been opened in read-only mode to protect the
original file.

- Uninitialized ActiveX controls will not be opened in this version of Excel"

When I acknowledge the error, then enable macros, I can see my main
worksheet with the gray commandbutton, but clicking on it just selects it, as
if I were in design mode. I can toggle in and out of design mode, but the
button is dead.

(1) should I be using a different button to trigger my macro, i.e. is there
one that can withstand the conversion to XL2007 and still work when
downcoverted to XL2003?

Even if I upload a 2003 version, as soon as anyone with 2007 opens it,
enters their data, and saves it, I'll be back to having a document that won't
work for the next 2003 user.

Thank you,
Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should try Forms toolbar button. it will work ok i think.

"as soon as anyone with 2007 opens it, enters their data, and saves it,"

only if they change file to xlsm. tell them to keep as xls by doing ctrl-s
or file, Save (not save as). true you cannot stop them from change format
only tell them not to