Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code no longer runs

I made a sheet with a column containing a dropdown (which I now can't
find to change, but it still drops and allows selection) which has a
list of destinations. When a destination is chosen, code populates the
next column with the mileage from my house to the target.

When I cleared out last years mileages, I somehow disconnected the
code, and it no longer fires.

When I try to run it from the VBA editor, it wants a macro name.

Any suggestions for hooking it back up? I've probably described this
poorly. Can you tell I'm a newbie?

TIA, Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don Guillett wrote:

Hard to tell without seeing. If desired, send the file to my address
below along with a snippet of this msg and clear instructions of what
you need.

Don said:

Your code could NEVER have worked since your worksheet event was not
in the sheet module and you were using a selection event instead of a
change event and there was no user form and your select was improperly
done........
Several ways to do this. One use a proper change event with a proper
select case or a VLookup in the macro or just a simple VLookup. In any
case I would put the list and numbers on another sheet so that the
list is not compromised when you delete rows.

BTW, I do custom excel programming @$75 hourly.
Don -
Thanks for taking a look. I can tell you with 100% certainty that at
one time, when an item was selected from the drop down, the adjacent
column was populated with the mileage. Why it doesn't now was the
whole purpose of my post.

Sorry, I'm too green to have the vocabulary to understand your
suggestions.

I'm not at all interested in paying you $75 an hour for programming.
This is just a little learning exercise for me.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

All three of the examples I provided on your workbook worked to do as you
desire. I mentioned this in the private message (with the corrected file)
which you replied to here. Good luck.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Don said:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don Guillett wrote:
All three of the examples I provided on your workbook worked to do as
you desire. I mentioned this in the private message (with the corrected
file) which you replied to here. Good luck.

Don -
My apologies and my thanks.

I didn't get that you had done up the 3 sheets, and so I didn't open
the workbook.

I don't understand how any of the 3 work, but I can dig into the books
again in a few weeks.

How did you un-hide the col with the names in it? I couldn't get to it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don Guillett wrote:

I wondered why I sent it?

Huh?

Try going to the help index and typing in
unhide column
When all else fails, RTFM

I did RTFM. It didn't work.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Display or hide rows or columns
Display a hidden row or column
1.. Select a row or column on each side of the hidden rows or columns you
want to display.
2.. On the Format menu, point to Row or Column, and then click Unhide.
Tip

If the first row or column of a worksheet is hidden, click Go To on the Edit
menu. Type A1 in the Reference box, and click OK. Point to Row or Column on
the Format menu, and then click Unhide.

Also, the row or column may have had the height or width set to zero. Point
to the border of Select All until the cursor changes to or , and drag to
widen the row or column.

Hide a row or column
1.. Select the rows or columns you want to hide.
How?

To select Do this
Text in a cell If editing in a cell is turned on, select the cell,
double-click in it, and then select the text in the cell.
If editing in a cell is turned off, select the cell, and then select
the text in the formula bar.

A single cell Click the cell, or press the arrow keys to move to the
cell.
A range of cells Click the first cell of the range, and then drag to
the last cell.
A large range of cells Click the first cell in the range, and then
hold down SHIFT and click the last cell in the range. You can scroll to make
the last cell visible.
All cells on a worksheet Click the Select All button.

Nonadjacent cells or cell ranges Select the first cell or range of
cells, and then hold down CTRL and select the other cells or ranges.
An entire row or column Click the row or column heading.

Adjacent rows or columns Drag across the row or column headings. Or
select the first row or column; then hold down SHIFT and select the last row
or column.
Nonadjacent rows or columns Select the first row or column, and then
hold down CTRL and select the other rows or columns.
More or fewer cells than the active selection Hold down SHIFT and
click the last cell you want to include in the new selection. The
rectangular range between the active cell and the cell you click becomes the
new selection.
Cancel a selection of cells Click any cell on the worksheet.

2.. On the Format menu, point to Row or Column, and then click Hide.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"MikeR" wrote in message
Don Guillett wrote:

I wondered why I sent it?

Huh?

Try going to the help index and typing in
unhide column
When all else fails, RTFM

I did RTFM. It didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Don -
It was the "1.. Select a row or column on each side of the hidden rows
or columns you want to display." I missed.