Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JJF JJF is offline

Default personal.xls and add-in

I need to insert on personal.xls of 4 computers 3 routines, that need
maintenance often.

is it possible to use a file (i.e. an add.in that i use for personal
menu) to do it?

i can also remove all module.bas and replace them

i tried with appilcation.vbaprojects compomnents a s idid in the past
but on office xp must be different syntax.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It's probably better to distribute and maintain/update an addin.

There are some small differences in the VBIDE object model in Excel97, but
in Excel 2000-2007 it's the same for all versions, AFAIK.

Since 2002/XP you need to check "Trust access to VB Project"

Regards,
Peter T

"JJF" wrote in message
I need to insert on personal.xls of 4 computers 3 routines, that need
maintenance often.

is it possible to use a file (i.e. an add.in that i use for personal
menu) to do it?

i can also remove all module.bas and replace them

i tried with appilcation.vbaprojects compomnents a s idid in the past
but on office xp must be different syntax.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JJF JJF is offline

"JJF" wrote in message

I need to insert on personal.xls of 4 computers 3 routines, that need
maintenance often.

is it possible to use a file (i.e. an add.in that i use for personal
menu) to do it?

i can also remove all module.bas and replace them

i tried with appilcation.vbaprojects compomnents a s idid in the past
but on office xp must be different syntax.- Hide quoted text -

ok thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JJF JJF is offline

"JJF" wrote in message

I need to insert on personal.xls of 4 computers 3 routines, that need
maintenance often.

is it possible to use a file (i.e. an add.in that i use for personal
menu) to do it?

i can also remove all module.bas and replace them

i tried with appilcation.vbaprojects compomnents a s idid in the past
but on office xp must be different syntax.- Hide quoted text -

ok thanks- Hide quoted text -

Excuse me, what do you mean with "Since 2002/XP you need to check
"Trust access to VB Project" ?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JJF JJF is offline

"JJF" wrote in message

I need to insert on personal.xls of 4 computers 3 routines, that need
maintenance often.

is it possible to use a file (i.e. an add.in that i use for personal
menu) to do it?

i can also remove all module.bas and replace them

i tried with appilcation.vbaprojects compomnents a s idid in the past
but on office xp must be different syntax.- Hide quoted text -

ok thanks- Hide quoted text -

Excuse me, what do you mean with "Since 2002/XP you need to check
"Trust access to VB Project" *?- Hide quoted text -

sorry sorry i'm dummy, found it thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't do it.

Don't touch the user's personal.xl* file. That's for their stuff. Not yours.

Instead, create a new workbook (or addin) and call it:
JJFUtils.xla

And share that with the users.

Tell them to put it in the same location:
C:\excelutils\jjfutils.xla

They can use Tools|addins to install your addin (or just open the file when they
need it).

By using the same location, then any UDF that you write will be found in the
same location--so the links to the file containing these functions will be found
(only useful if workbooks are shared and all recipients have that addin in the
same location).

And when you need to update something, just update your copy (with all your
protection), and blast it out to the users.

Give them the instructions to
close excel
and save the attachment (or copy from a network drive) directly over the
existing file.

========

You didn't ask, but...

For additions to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way John Walkenbach
does it in his menumaker workbook:

Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
(from Debra Dalgleish's site)

In xl2007, those toolbars and menu modifications will show up under the addins.

And if you use xl2007:

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)