Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reducing data size

I have 30,000+ data points in a column and would like to copy every 100th
point and put them into an adjacent column (reducing my spreadsheet size and
cleaning up my data as well). I know there is a simple answer on how to do
this but I am struggling to find the correct term to do this simple
function. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you have excel 2003 or 2007?

Excel 2003 only has 256 columns. 30000/100 = 300

Do you really want
rows 1 - 100 in column A
rows 101 - 200 in column B
rows 201 - 300 in column C

or
Rows 1, 101, 201, 301, ... in Column A
Rows 2, 102, 202, 302, ... in Column B
Rows 3, 103, 203, 303, ... in Column C

"Steve" wrote:

I have 30,000+ data points in a column and would like to copy every 100th
point and put them into an adjacent column (reducing my spreadsheet size and
cleaning up my data as well). I know there is a simple answer on how to do
this but I am struggling to find the correct term to do this simple
function. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This assumes the data is in Column A and that there is
a header row on row 1. If your data in in a different
column then addjust the cells references accordingly.

Sub ordinate()
Dim i As Long, lr As Long
'Change the 1 in Cells(Rows.Count, 1) to your col.
lr = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
For i = 101 To lr Step 100
If Cells(i, 1) < "" Then
Cells(i, 2) = Cells(i, 1).Value '<<Change Col. if diff.
End If
Next
Emd Sub

"Steve" wrote in message
I have 30,000+ data points in a column and would like to copy every 100th
point and put them into an adjacent column (reducing my spreadsheet size
and
cleaning up my data as well). I know there is a simple answer on how to
do
this but I am struggling to find the correct term to do this simple
function. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have 2007. Ideally I'd like to cut and paste the data file on a new
spreadsheet in a seperate tab. The in another tab I would automatically
transfer the data that I am concerned about - which is about 10000-20000
points (rows). From there, I'd like to only copy every 100th point since
there is some noise in the data. I hope this makes sense...Thanks all for
your help.