Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How does MS Query assign data types?

Hi,

I am running a query on a closed workbook, and one of the fields contains
alphanumeric data, but most of the values are numeric only. As a result,
Query is ascribing a number data type and returning Null for any values
containing letters.

Is there an easy way to force Query to treat a field as containing text
values?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm not 100%, but i recall once when i did this, that MSQuery assigned the
type based off whatever value was in the first record of the field.

Unfortunately, this seems rather odd and i don't recall finding a solution
other than having the first record as dummy textual data