Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pivot table cell format

My programs creates a new sheet for a pivot table but my numbers are being
changed to dates. Where do I look to see what is causing this, or to stop it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You probably know that the underlying values are the same no matter what,
right. Well, select the values you want to format, Right Click Format
Cells Number choose the appropriate Format there...

This is worth a look, when you have some free time:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datetime.htm

Take a look at this too:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqPivot.html#FormatLost

HTH,
Ryan---

--
Ryan---

"DaveL" wrote:

My programs creates a new sheet for a pivot table but my numbers are being
changed to dates. Where do I look to see what is causing this, or to stop it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ryan,

My son's name is Ryan.

Thanks for the links. I reviewed the material and it was helpful but I
could not find a solution to my problm. I did some more work to narrow
better describe teh problem.

Normally when I enter a new worksheet--either from a spreadsheet or via a
macro using Worksheets.add--the new worksheet number format is "General" and
the pivot table comes out fine. For some reason when I do it in this
workbook the number format for the tab insert method is still "General", but
the macro (Worksheets.add) is "Date". Even when I stop the macro and
manually change the entire worksheet to "General" then continue, the pivot
table portion number format returns to "Date" and numbers display as dates
but text displays as text. As I step through each field as it builds the
pivot table cells change to "Date" as the number format and text shows as
text though the cell format is "Date". I, or someone must have changed a
setting for this to occur. How do I undo it.

Thanks
Dave