Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Unreliable Newsgroup Access

Totally off topic, but relevant...

I access these NGs directly through MS.com. It's unreliable and slow and
frustrating and slow. I'm sure there is a better way to access the NGs -
what do you use?

Thx,

Eric
-------------------------
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet,
what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
Steven Wright (1955 - )
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 07:12:02 -0800, egun
wrote:

Totally off topic, but relevant...

I access these NGs directly through MS.com. It's unreliable and slow and
frustrating and slow. I'm sure there is a better way to access the NGs -
what do you use?

I use Forte Agent as my newsreader. It's not free, but it's worth it for
me.

Here's a page on connecting to the server via nntp - reliable and fast.

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/HintsA...roupUsers.aspx
--
Dick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, that was easy! Thanks, Don.

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft
newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"egun" wrote in message
Totally off topic, but relevant...

I access these NGs directly through MS.com. It's unreliable and slow and
frustrating and slow. I'm sure there is a better way to access the NGs -
what do you use?

Thx,

Eric
-------------------------
If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their
feet,
what happen if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
Steven Wright (1955 - )

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay, something very strange just happened. After I got set up to use the
newsreader in MS Outlook (not Express), I browsed for a while and then closed
the newsreader. Later, I went to the "Go" menu and selected "News". What
happened next was weird...

Instead of opening the newsreader, a Windows Explorer window opened up
pointing to a folder somewhere on my system drive (I closed the window before
recording the path - argh!). Then, after I closed that window, I went back
to the "Go" menu to try again. The "News" menu item was gone! I went to
"Customize" to add it back in, and it doesn't even show up in the list of
Commands for that Menu!

What in the world did I do?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Never mind. This fixed the problem: