Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Finding if data in one spreadsheet is in another

hi guys,
I am looking for a way to accomplish this:

I have 2 spreadsheets A and B.

A is a multi-sheet workbook.

For each of the values in a specified column in the second sheet of
workbook A, I need to find if the value is present in spreadsheet B
and if yes display the matching row.

Ideally I'm hoping it can be done w/o opening either spreadsheet but
if I must open Spreadsheet A to the right sheet and execute from
there, that's fine.

Any ideas?

I have good programming skills though not in VBA (which I assume might
be the tool to use here?)

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 24, 2:02*pm, Pakku wrote:
hi guys,
I am looking for a way to accomplish this:

I have 2 spreadsheets A and B.

A is a multi-sheet workbook.

For each of the values in a specified column in the second sheet of
workbook A, I need to find if the value is present in spreadsheet B
and if yes display the matching row.

Ideally I'm hoping it can be done w/o opening either spreadsheet but
if I must open Spreadsheet A to the right sheet and execute from
there, that's fine.

Any ideas?

I have good programming skills though not in VBA (which I assume might
be the tool to use here?)

Thanks!

Try using the function VLOOKUP...

I dont kn much abt using VBA to do that
But I use this always to compare and get data for one common field

the formula works like this

+VLOOKUP(lookupvalue,table_array,col_index,(range_ lookup))

Lookup = the data which is common to both ur work sheet
table array = is the workbook where you want it to fetch from
col-index = the col in which the data you want to fetch is located in
that workbook - B
range_lookup = depending on how exact a look up u want - put in 0 or 1
- that is true or false - exact or not exact.

Few tips before u do that - make sure all data is sorted ascending
order
and the look up (common text or number) -if you can put that in the
first col then it works without any glitches.

Also use the f1 key to learn more abt vlook up - they have good
examples too

Hope this works and this is what you were looking for

Appy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 24, 4:37*pm, Appy wrote:
On Feb 24, 2:02*pm, Pakku wrote:

[...]

Thanks Appy- I will look into this option