Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Spelling case of cell function determined by its first use.

An observation, y'all:

For a long time, when I wrote a UDF, e.g. 'MyFunc', I was baffled as
to why it might have the same case spelling in cell instances--'MyFunc
()'--when another function 'MyFunc2' would not, i.e. would appear as
'myfunc2()'.

Come to find out that (in Excel 2002) case is determined by its first
use in a cell. In whatever case the user first spells a UDF, that's
how subsequent instances seem to appear.

As a user, I suppose this override capability might be appreciated in
some situations.

But overall, it makes little sense:

- How many users even know about this behavior? Since I'll wager most
don't, all MS is doing is permitting misspelling (OK, mis-casing).

- Especially when the function name is long, the user must have the
presence of mind to know his spelling is the one that will be seen and
used in perpetuity. That's an unacceptable burden. In
'OurCompanysNextNonFederalHoliday()', what other spelling makes sense?
Why let users who wanted the programmer's spelling to begin with make
a mistake?

- More importantly, what if function names are coupled with business?
Do you mean to tell me Microsoft thinks it's a good idea to prevent
companies from enforcing spelling rules in their enterprise, and let
users muck with even trademarked spellings, e.g. 'CocaColaSales()'?

- One of the most spectacular applications for a computer ever
written, whose philosophy is to pack in intelligence at every turn,
both in the workbook and the interface, Excel here erases intelligence
put in by the programmer. Why?

- Since this behavior does not happen with Excel native functions
(does it?), why the inconsistency?

I suspect this crypto-feature must not have been intended by MS.

True?

***
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I agree with you. It is extremely annoying.

Whats even more annoying is that I have not yet managed to find the place
where Excel stores this information.

Charles
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Charles and baobob,

To reset a function's default case usage, define a name with the
capitalization that you prefer, then delete it. It will redo all the
instances where the function is called, and prevent usage of other mixes.

Bernie