Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Screen alerts

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This MS KB Article shows you how to disable that warning.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=829072

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 16:01:01 -0800, Brettjg
wrote:

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gord

Well I did what it said on the website (disablehyperlink and also unchecking
the confirm open box). I had to restart a couple of times before it would
properly, but now seems to be ok. Now, however, whenever I try to open any
folder it brings up the "Find" pane. I checed in the actions, and for file
folders, it has a default of "Find", and "Open" is not even there to make it
the default. The only way I can open folders now is to right click and scroll
down to "Open", because "Search" is the default.

When I try to create a new action of "open", it wants me to tell it what
what program to open a folder with, and I don't know. I clcik browse, but I
don't know where to go to (I would have thought it would know what pgm is
used to open a file folder). Regards, Brett

wrote:

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

New action of "Open" for File Folder should be pointed to
"C:\Windows\explorer.exe"

Set as default.

Does that help?

Same for Folder setting.

Gord

wrote:

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gord, sorry about the detail to follow, but it's necessary.

As Jed Clampett used to say "wheeeee doggie". This is now getting bizarre in
the extreme. The "open" action now works - doesn't go to search, but another
problem has now arisen. I need to briefly explain my folder hierarchy:
On C drive there is a folder "1. ACTIVE CLIENTS"
within that there are many client folders
within each of them, there may or may not be subfolders.

Also, I have my main workbook called "TOOLS" which is always open, and it
has a sheet that has a whole bunch of text boxes with hyperlinks on it so I
can open any folder I need easily. Hyperlinks being the sensitive little
critters that they are, I have created a macro that recreates them (necessary
because when Excel 2003 crashes - which it does ALL the time, the hyperlinks
get changed and I have to recreate them).

So now there are three different things happening:
1. If I create the hyperlink to a client folder using "../1. ACTIVE
CLIENTS/Dibben, G" the "Dibben, G" folder opens perfectly, but when I open
any sub folder it says the path does not exist or is not a directory.

2. If I create the hyperlink to a client folder using "C:\1. ACTIVE
CLIENTS/Dibben, G" the "Dibben, G" folder gets a virus warning, but
subfolders open perfectly. There are no "confirm open" boxes checked in
folder options for File Folders or Folders.

3. (and the strangest of all) The hyperlink to "1. ACTIVE CLIENTS" uses (and
has always used) "../1. ACTIVE CLIENTS". It opens perfectly, and when I go
into a client folder, they open perfectly, as do the client subfolders.

This whole fiasco came about because of a new routine in a different place
(but using identical code), where I was trying to create an individual Client
folder in ACTIVE CLIENTS. When I used the "../1. ACTIVE CLIENTS" code there
it always added "../1. ACTIVE CLIENTS/1. ACTIVE CLIENTS\Dibben, G" and so of
course could not find the folder because of the double /1. ACTIVE CLIENTS in
the path. That's why I reverted to "C:\1. ACTIVE CLIENTS" BUT ONLY IN THIS
NEW PIECE OF CODE, AND THIS IS WHEN I FIRST STARTED TO GET THE VIRUS WARNINGS.

So Gord, what the flyin' duck(?) do you think might be going on? Or are you
now as befuddled as I am? Regards, Brett.

wrote:

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea why all this is happening or not
happening.

Not too experienced with this sort of thing.

Also, have you tried to suss out why Excel 2003 crashes "ALL the time"?

My 2003 rarely crashes and only when I try to make it do something that
would be very resource-consuming.

Apologies for leaving you with no solution to your problem.

Others may be watching this thread so hang in or re-post with this new
problem.

Gord

wrote:

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gord, OK, I've re-posted. Thanks for your help so far. Regards, Brett.

wrote:

Hello out there, I have some code to open a folder (by following a heperlink
in a cell). For some bizarre reason (and only just started happening
recently) I get a warning that some folders may contain viruses and do I
really want to open this folder? I have to press "OK". Having displayalerts =
false does nothing in this instance. Is there another displayalerts type of
command that will "OK" this automatically please? Regards, Brett

Current code:
Sub A_OPENFOLDER()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Range("J50").Hyperlinks(1).Follow NewWindow:=False, AddHistory:=False
Application.DisplayAlerts = True

Alerts Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 September 9th 09 03:01 PM
Inputbox Location on Screen. Can you code it to popup lower on the screen ? Corey Excel Programming 3 December 13th 06 11:33 PM
alerts gambit Excel Worksheet Functions 3 August 22nd 06 04:02 PM
alerts peter Excel Programming 0 January 25th 05 12:52 AM
How to copy data from excel to power point screen by screen? luvgreen[_3_] Excel Programming 0 April 9th 04 03:51 PM