Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default count lines of text in a cell

For Excel 2003, is there a way to determine the number of lines of text in a
cell (with wordwrap turned on? (Similar to LineCount for a textbox.)
I'm adding blocks of text to a cell, and--within limits--want to be able to
resize the cell so the whole block will be visible. The text may or may not
contain CR/LF characters, so there could be blank lines I'd like to have
displayed and included in the line count.
I'd prefer not to use autofit, so I can maintain a minimum rowheight, as
well as keeping from going over a maximum rowheight.
Thanks.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Put all of the following code in a Module (Insert/Module from the VB
editor's menu bar). Change the Const statements in the FitText macro to the
minimum and maximum number of pixels high you want to limit a row to. After
you have done that, go back to the worksheet, select a cell with text in it
and run the macro... it will keep the height within the bounds you set while
changing the row height of the selected cell to accommodate the text (column
width remains fixed).

Private Declare Function GetDC Lib "user32" _
(ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function GetDeviceCaps Lib "gdi32" _
(ByVal hDC As Long, _
ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long

Private Declare Function ReleaseDC Lib "user32" _
(ByVal hwnd As Long, _
ByVal hDC As Long) As Long

Private Const LOGPIXELSX = 88 'Pixels/inch in X
Private Const POINTS_PER_INCH As Long = 72

Private Function PointsPerPixel() As Double
Dim hDC As Long
Dim lDotsPerInch As Long
hDC = GetDC(0)
lDotsPerInch = GetDeviceCaps(hDC, LOGPIXELSX)
PointsPerPixel = POINTS_PER_INCH / lDotsPerInch
ReleaseDC 0, hDC
End Function

Public Sub FitText()
Dim PPP As Double
Const MinPixelsHigh As Long = 17
Const MaxPixelsHigh As Long = 85
PPP = PointsPerPixel
With ActiveCell
.Rows.AutoFit
If .RowHeight < MinPixelsHigh * PPP Then
.RowHeight = MinPixelsHigh * PPP
ElseIf .RowHeight MaxPixelsHigh * PPP Then
.RowHeight = MaxPixelsHigh * PPP
End If
End With

Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bert" wrote in message
For Excel 2003, is there a way to determine the number of lines of text in
a cell (with wordwrap turned on? (Similar to LineCount for a textbox.)
I'm adding blocks of text to a cell, and--within limits--want to be able
to resize the cell so the whole block will be visible. The text may or
may not contain CR/LF characters, so there could be blank lines I'd like
to have displayed and included in the line count.
I'd prefer not to use autofit, so I can maintain a minimum rowheight, as
well as keeping from going over a maximum rowheight.
Thanks.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick:
Thanks. It's trying to work, but not quite there. I've set the two
constants to appropriate numbers, but it's not accurately resetting the
height. It is resizing the cell, but not enough. (The font and font size
in for the cell are Tahoma, 26 pt.)
I'm not getting any error messages; it just isn't expanding the height
enough.
Any suggestions? Does this need to be in it's own module, or can it be in a
module with my other macros for this worksheet?
Thanks again.
Bert

"Bert" wrote in message
For Excel 2003, is there a way to determine the number of lines of text
in a cell (with wordwrap turned on? (Similar to LineCount for a
textbox.)
I'm adding blocks of text to a cell, and--within limits--want to be able
to resize the cell so the whole block will be visible. The text may or
may not contain CR/LF characters, so there could be blank lines I'd like
to have displayed and included in the line count.
I'd prefer not to use autofit, so I can maintain a minimum rowheight, as
well as keeping from going over a maximum rowheight.
Thanks.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What numbers did you put in for the formulas? You did note the the numbers
are in pixels, not points, right? Did you want to specify the sizes in
points instead?

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bert" wrote in message
For Excel 2003, is there a way to determine the number of lines of text
in a cell (with wordwrap turned on? (Similar to LineCount for a
textbox.)
I'm adding blocks of text to a cell, and--within limits--want to be able
to resize the cell so the whole block will be visible. The text may or
may not contain CR/LF characters, so there could be blank lines I'd like
to have displayed and included in the line count.
I'd prefer not to use autofit, so I can maintain a minimum rowheight, as
well as keeping from going over a maximum rowheight.
Thanks.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick:
Thanks for your help with this. I've tried several numbers, but have
settled in on minpixelshigh: 88, maxpixelshigh: 352.
One question: the call to get the pointsperpixel: it seems to get the window
closer to the right size if it's more pixelsperpoints. (The pointsperpixel
value is 0.6. If I reverse the formula to pointsperpixel = lDotsPerInch /
POINTS_PER_INCH (yielding 1.6), it _appears_ to be closer to the correct
cell size, although the real problem, I think, seems to be with the autofit
command. It does not expand the cell to the correct size, or at least does
not seem to function as I would expect.

"Bert" wrote in message
For Excel 2003, is there a way to determine the number of lines of text
in a cell (with wordwrap turned on? (Similar to LineCount for a
textbox.)
I'm adding blocks of text to a cell, and--within limits--want to be
able to resize the cell so the whole block will be visible. The text
may or may not contain CR/LF characters, so there could be blank lines
I'd like to have displayed and included in the line count.
I'd prefer not to use autofit, so I can maintain a minimum rowheight,
as well as keeping from going over a maximum rowheight.
Thanks.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not sure what to tell you... the code I posted works perfectly on my system.
If it helps anyone else reading this thread to figure out what may be wrong,
my PointsPerPixel value is 0.75... your value of 0.6 means you are using a
Large Font setting (maybe 120 DPI) for your Windows display Font Size
setting (I am using the Default Font setting of 96 DPI)... perhaps that has
something to do with the problem.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bert" wrote in message
For Excel 2003, is there a way to determine the number of lines of
text in a cell (with wordwrap turned on? (Similar to LineCount for a
textbox.)
I'm adding blocks of text to a cell, and--within limits--want to be
able to resize the cell so the whole block will be visible. The text
may or may not contain CR/LF characters, so there could be blank lines
I'd like to have displayed and included in the line count.
I'd prefer not to use autofit, so I can maintain a minimum rowheight,
as well as keeping from going over a maximum rowheight.
Thanks.
Bert

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rick:
I also realized that I had set the Zoom level to 75%. I think that could
also affect the outcome because when I switched to 100%, it seemed to get
more predictable.
Also, you are correct about the larger display font size, so it seems that
is another factor that could affect outcome.
Thanks for all your help with this.