Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Security/Protection

I am currently developing an Excel solution. I need to lock the excel
workbook so it can:-

1. Require a serial number to activate the workbook
2. lcoked the user/PC
3. Encrypted
4. Backwards and forward compat. with other version of Excel
5. option to provide a time framed trial version of the solution

Any ideas

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For your serial number unless you are going to increment it simply have
all worksheets xlsheetveryhidden except the welcome sheet have code in
your worksheet_change event to check for a serial number in a certain
cell before unhiding all sheets.
Locking the user pc? thats a no, no!, what you are proposing there is
classed at virus activity, fair enough protect your intellectual
property but don't mess with things that aren't yours!
Encrypted what do you want to encrypt? with what level of security as
you can encrypt things when you save them.
Compatibility, the least amount of code the better.
Time trial, look here 'Code Cage Downloads - The Code Cage Forums'
(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/lo...tid=2&linkid=3) but
you will have to join the forum to view it (it's free)

--
The Code Cage Team

Regards,
The Code Cage Team
The Code Cage Team's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=2
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=64377

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Feb 14, 1:10*pm, phil wrote:
I am currently developing an Excel solution. *I need to lock the excel
workbook so it can:-

You can encrypt everything with external library or hardware key
(dongle).
But, experienced user can always gain access to VBA code and worksheet
content. These two parts can't be effectively protected.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look at this:
http://exceltip.com/exceltips.php?view=category&ID=20

Good info. there. Now, having dealt with this quite a bit in the part, I'd
say try to avoid it at all costs. Excel security is pretty weak; you can
prevent the casual user from pretty much anything, but you won't protect your
app. from an experienced user!! I have some code that will disable an app.
if it is removed from a network environment; I think I got the code from Jim
Thomlinson. This will add a level of security to your project, but again,
any advanced user can figure it out and disable it pretty darn quick. It
sounds like you developed an app. and now you are trying to sell it to end
users. If that's the case, the JT code won't help...

For time bomb info. look he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/WorkbookTimeBomb.aspx

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,