Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Formatting cell

I am making a to do list. Once the item is done I have a column next to it
that I put an "x" in to show that it is complete. I would like the item or
cell to change colour, or fade, or have a line put through it; something to
differentiate it quickly that it is done.
(using Excel 2007)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select the column of your to-do items (I'll assume that is Column A and that
your X's will go in Column B), then click the Conditional Formatting item in
the Styles panel on the Home tab. Select "New Rule" from the list that
appears. Click the "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" item
in the list at the top of the dialog box. Put this formula in the "Format
values where this formula is true" field...

=OFFSET(A1,0,1)="X"

Then click the Format button on the dialog box. Here you have a choice of
how to format the output. If you want to fill the cell, select a color from
the Fill tab; if you want strikethrough text, put a check mark in the
Strikethrough CheckBox (you can also choose to color the text using the
Color drop-down; and so on... you can select one or more of these options.
Okay your way back to the worksheet and put either and X or an x in Column B
next to one of your items.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)