Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default vlookup in different workbooks

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use "vlookup" when comparing ranges in different
workbooks? Let me know what you think. Any examples would be great.

--
Thanks,
Himansu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is it possible to use "vlookup" when comparing ranges in different
workbooks? Let me know what you think. Any examples would be great.

Yes - just fully-reference the table_array range thus:

=VLOOKUP($A2,'[<workbookname.xls]<worksheetname'!$A$4:$G$13,B$12,FALSE)

Is this what you mean?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The formula below does a VLOOKUP of A1's value in a table on Sheet2 of a
workbook called Bernard. It works just fine provided Bernard.xls is open

=VLOOKUP(A1,[Bernard.xls]Sheet2!$A$1:$B$10,2,FALSE)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Himansu" wrote in message

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to use "vlookup" when comparing ranges in different
workbooks? Let me know what you think. Any examples would be great.

--
Thanks,
Himansu

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ian,

For some reason this doesn't work:
--

=VLOOKUP(a4,[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,false)

--

** The cell doesn't even get treated as a formula inside it....

"IanKR" wrote in message
Is it possible to use "vlookup" when comparing ranges in different
workbooks? Let me know what you think. Any examples would be great.

Yes - just fully-reference the table_array range thus:

=VLOOKUP($A2,'[<workbookname.xls]<worksheetname'!$A$4:$G$13,B$12,FALSE)

Is this what you mean?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For some reason this doesn't work:

=VLOOKUP(a4,[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,false)

** The cell doesn't even get treated as a formula inside it....

Do you mean that the ar cell ref doesn't resolve the A4 when you hit Enter?
Does the false resolve to FALSE? What does it return in the cell? #N/A! ?
#VALUE! ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use Edit Clear All on the cell in question
Type this much: =VLOOKUP(A4,
The activate the other workbook and use the mouse to select the range
Sheet1!$A:$B
Finish by typing: ,FALSE)
Does it work now?
best wishes
--

"IanKR" wrote in message
Is it possible to use "vlookup" when comparing ranges in different
workbooks? Let me know what you think. Any examples would be great.

Yes - just fully-reference the table_array range thus:

=VLOOKUP($A2,'[<workbookname.xls]<worksheetname'!$A$4:$G$13,B$12,FALSE)

Is this what you mean?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For some reason this doesn't work:

=VLOOKUP(a4,[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,false)

** The cell doesn't even get treated as a formula inside it....

Do you mean that the ar cell ref doesn't resolve the A4 when you hit
Enter? Does the false resolve to FALSE? What does it return in the cell?
#N/A! ? #VALUE! ?

I meant "... the a4 cell ref ..."

I take that the value in cell A4 is somewhere in col A in
[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1! ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried this:

=VLOOKUP(A4,[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$300,2,FALSE)

---
but I get a N/A when it clearly avaialble...

"IanKR" wrote in message
For some reason this doesn't work:

=VLOOKUP(a4,[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1!$A:$B,2,false)

** The cell doesn't even get treated as a formula inside it....

Do you mean that the ar cell ref doesn't resolve the A4 when you hit

Enter?
Does the false resolve to FALSE? What does it return in the cell? #N/A! ?
#VALUE! ?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried this:

=VLOOKUP(A4,[VFW_Cell_Dept_Matrix.xls]Sheet1!$A$1:$B$300,2,FALSE)

but I get a N/A when it clearly avaialble...

Check for rogue leading and/or trailing spaces in both the col A values of
the other wkb and also in your A4 value of the first wkb.