Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Method _MailEnvelope failed

I recently upgraded one of our machines that was becoming increasingly
flaky. The machine runs a complex series of Excel macros at the end of
the day and sends out a bunch of worksheets in mail. The code uses...

With ActiveSheet.MailEnvelope.Item
.Recipients.Add "someone"
.Subject = "New entries and changes for " & Format(datetrade,
"mmm-dd-yyyy")
.Send
End With

This code has worked fine on the old machine, as well as most of the
other machines in the office. However, it does not work on the new
one, and instead reports a "Method _MailEnvelope failed".

1) Everyone is running Office 2003 SP3, versions are all equal
2) I have included a Reference to Outlook (even though I never had to
before)

I noticed a couple of comments on this problem that suggested that
Outlook had to be the default program. To test this I went to a web
page that had a mailto and clicked -- Word came up! This might be the
problem, how do I fix this?

Maury
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I checked in Internet Options, and "Microsoft Office Outlook" is
selected as the mail program.

Maury
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

when we moved some "production" excel workbooks to a ne wbuild, we found that
an application (in our case VNC) caused the issue. Stopping iot solved the
problem, though we never really knew what it was.
Check what other apps are running

"Maury Markowitz" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sounds like the references are crosses. I believe you will have to clear
those references and then reset them. Not a bid deal though. Follow these
instructions (from the Access DG; should be same for Excel):

You could try using Late Binding, so that you don't need to set a reference
at all. If you use Late Binding instead of setting a reference, delete all
references to all objects; Word, excel, Outlook.

References Problem!!!

This can be caused by differences in either the location or file version of
certain files between the machine where the application was developed, and
where it's being run (or the file missing completely from the target
machine). Such differences are common when new software is installed.

On the machine(s) where it's not working, open any code module (or open the
Debug Window, using Ctrl-G, provided you haven't selected the "keep debug
window on top" option). Select Tools | References from the menu bar. Examine
all of the selected references.

If any of the selected references have "MISSING:" in front of them, unselect
them, and back out of the dialog. If you really need the reference(s) you
just unselected (you can tell by doing a Compile All Modules), go back in and
reselect them.

If none have "MISSING:", select an additional reference at random, back out
of the dialog, then go back in and unselect the reference you just added. If
that doesn't solve the problem, try to unselect as many of the selected
references as you can (Access may not let you unselect them all), back out of
the dialog, then go back in and reselect the references you just unselected.
(NOTE: write down what the references are before you delete them, because
they'll be in a different order when you go back in)

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"Maury Markowitz" wrote:

I checked in Internet Options, and "Microsoft Office Outlook" is
selected as the mail program.

Maury

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Maury

See
http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm

And the code on this page
http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/folder3/mailenvelope.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Maury Markowitz" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron: I believe I used your code examples when I first made this
code... so it's not a coding problem :-)

I think it has something to do with Word coming up as the mail editor.
The setting is not in Internet Options though.

Maury