Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default If this condition meet, then this text

Im working in an employee spreadsheet. In this worksheet, the department
number is either a 1, 2, or 3 digit number. In order to print reports, I
would like to be able to have the department name printed out.

Is there a way to write a formula OR to tie the information in that cell to
the full name in another spreadsheet or workbook? Example: Dept. 1 =
Accounting Payables. I have 25 departments and 200 employees and I don't
want to cut and paste.

Ive struggled with the IF formula to no avail. So help on this would be
greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Still learning@work;203097 Wrote:
Im working in an employee spreadsheet. In this worksheet, the
department
number is either a 1, 2, or 3 digit number. In order to print reports,
would like to be able to have the department name printed out.

Is there a way to write a formula OR to tie the information in that
cell to
the full name in another spreadsheet or workbook? Example: Dept.
1 =
Accounting Payables. I have 25 departments and 200 employees
and I don't
want to cut and paste.

Ive struggled with the IF formula to no avail. So help on
this would be
greatly appreciated.

As some of the characters of your post are unreadable, I'm not sure
what you are looking for, but as far as I can understand, it might be
the VLOOKUP function :)

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
*'Membership is free' (http://www.thecodecage.com)* & allows file
upload -faster and better answers

*Adding your XL version* to your post helps finding solution faster
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=55852

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Let's assume Sheet2 is not used (bit it could be Sheet201 !)
Make a table like this
Code Name
1 Accounting - Payables
2 Accounting - Receivables
3 Accounting - Debt Collecting
123 Publicity

For our demo we will say the table uses the range A2:B25 (labels in row 1)

Back on the 'real' worksheet. The three-digit codes are in say column C
starting in row 2
In the cell where you need the department name (D2, maybe) enter
=VLOOKUP(C2,Sheet2!A2:B25,2,FALSE)
Copy this down the column
Come back if you have further questions - post them as a reply to this
message
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme