Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Getting info from one workbook to another

I created a workbook to be used as a template when a new style is designed.
The designer will fill in info for her new design then save the workbook
under a new name to save the template. I want to be able to have some of the
info from the new workbook to go into another workbook to use as a summary
workbook. For every new design means a new workbook.
How could I have each new design workbook automatically be entered into the
summary workbook?
For example the new design workbook is saved as 1000.xlsx I want info from
certain cells to enter into design log workbook. Every new design workbook
info I need needs to appear in the design log book in its own individual line.
I hope I am making sense..
Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What is the information you are trying to capture?
How often do you need it?
Is this on a network or a local machine application?

You could create a macro in the template to write the information to a log
file.

"ljgent" wrote:

I created a workbook to be used as a template when a new style is designed.
The designer will fill in info for her new design then save the workbook
under a new name to save the template. I want to be able to have some of the
info from the new workbook to go into another workbook to use as a summary
workbook. For every new design means a new workbook.
How could I have each new design workbook automatically be entered into the
summary workbook?
For example the new design workbook is saved as 1000.xlsx I want info from
certain cells to enter into design log workbook. Every new design workbook
info I need needs to appear in the design log book in its own individual line.
I hope I am making sense..
Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

We manufacture clothing and I have created a TechPack - the workbook is on a
company network. so when the designer designs a garment she uses the first
sheet of the tech pack with informaton such as style #, fabric , fabric
content, etc. all this information loads onto other worksheets in the
workbook. Each worksheet is for different stages of the garment development.
The first worksheet is where the designer puts the information regarding the
style, like I mentioned above. Then she will save the file in a different
name something like style12345.xlsx.

What I would like to do in another workbook when the designer fills in style
#, fabric , fabric content, description, factory etc. that it gets logged
into another workbook called lets say spring2010.xlsx.
for every style they develop they use the techpac template and save it under
the style # assigned. So if there where 20 styles there would use the
techpac template 20 times and then there would be 20 individual style xlsx
files. So in the log workbook I would like the info for each individual
style workbook entered on a separate line so there would be 20 entries in the
workbook log xlsx workbook.

It would look something like this:
column one style #, column two description, column 3 fabric, column 4 fabric
content, column 5 factory etc.

I hope this is a bit clearer

"ljgent" wrote:

I created a workbook to be used as a template when a new style is designed.
The designer will fill in info for her new design then save the workbook
under a new name to save the template. I want to be able to have some of the
info from the new workbook to go into another workbook to use as a summary
workbook. For every new design means a new workbook.
How could I have each new design workbook automatically be entered into the
summary workbook?
For example the new design workbook is saved as 1000.xlsx I want info from
certain cells to enter into design log workbook. Every new design workbook
info I need needs to appear in the design log book in its own individual line.
I hope I am making sense..
Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

ljent
First launch the Visual Basic editor in the template file you have created
by pressing the "Alt" key and the "F11" key at the same time. -Alt+F11
In the upper left hand corner you will see the VBAProject then below that
Microsoft Excel Objects. You should see one named "ThisWorkbook" double
click it.
Here are some assumptions I made:
1. The data in the style worksheet is a vertilce structure.
2. The data in the style worksheet starts in Row 2 of column A.
3. All the data to copy to the log file in column B (verticle structure)
4. The sheet tab is named Sheet1
5. The cell A1 in the file the user is saving is open to use.

So how it will work is when the workbook gets saved for the first time the
file "Spring2010.xlsx" will be written to, saved and then closed. The cell
in range A1 will display the word logged to show it has been logged and to
skip it each save after.
Make sure to change the path for the location of the log file. I noted in
the code where that needs to be done.
I hope this is not to confusing.

Paste the code that is between the symbols # below

'############################
Call Logit
End Sub

Function Logit()
Dim strData(6) As String

If Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = "Logged" Then Exit Function 'exit
function if sheet has already been logged
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'Capture information to log
strData(1) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B2").Value 'Style data
strData(2) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B3").Value 'Description data
strData(3) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B4").Value 'Fabric data
strData(4) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B5").Value 'Fabric Content data
strData(5) = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B6").Value 'Factory data
strData(6) = ActiveWorkbook.FullName 'File name and path to it

'CHANGE THE PATH IN THE LINE BELOW TO MATCH WHERE YOUR LOG FILE IS ON YOUR
NETWORK.
Workbooks.Open ("C:\log\Spring2010.xlsx") ' path to log file

Range("a1").Select
'find last cell and put down the data
If ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0) = "" Then
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 0) = strData(6)
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 1) = strData(1)
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 2) = strData(2)
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 3) = strData(3)
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 4) = strData(4)
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 5) = strData(5)
Else
'paste the log data
Selection.End(xlDown).Select
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0) = strData(6)
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 1) = strData(1)
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 2) = strData(2)
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 3) = strData(3)
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 4) = strData(4)
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 5) = strData(5)
End If
ActiveWorkbook.Save 'Save
ActiveWorkbook.Close 'Close log

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") = "Logged" 'Note file has been logged
ActiveWorkbook.Save

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Function

'############################

"ljgent" wrote:

I created a workbook to be used as a template when a new style is designed.
The designer will fill in info for her new design then save the workbook
under a new name to save the template. I want to be able to have some of the
info from the new workbook to go into another workbook to use as a summary
workbook. For every new design means a new workbook.
How could I have each new design workbook automatically be entered into the
summary workbook?
For example the new design workbook is saved as 1000.xlsx I want info from
certain cells to enter into design log workbook. Every new design workbook
info I need needs to appear in the design log book in its own individual line.
I hope I am making sense..
Please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JR Form

If I email you my excel File that we are talking about Do you think you can
do what I am trying to do.
The information I would like to be sent to the log file is in different
cells and columns.
My email address is

Hopefully I will hear from you and you can help me out.

Many thanks,
ljgent