Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to create "permanent" toolbars

I was just upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 here at work. (I
know, this is the state!) In XL2000, I could create tools and put them
on the standard toolbar permanently, but I can't seem to do this with
XL2003. I think it's because it now longer calls for the "PERSONAL"
workbook where all the macros behind the buttons lived. Is there a
workaround for this? If I can't get the tools in the existing
toolbars, can I make a custom toolbar that automatically comes up when
I open XL?
Thanks again.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Put your macros in a new workbook.

Use code to create the toolbar when that workbook opens.

Save the workbook as an add-in and load through ToolsAdd-ins.

For code to create a Toolbar see Debra Dalgleish's site.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlToolbar02.html

John Walkenbach's menumaker workbook is also a good source for creating
toolbars.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 07:50:03 -0800 (PST), davegb
wrote:

I was just upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 here at work. (I
know, this is the state!) In XL2000, I could create tools and put them
on the standard toolbar permanently, but I can't seem to do this with
XL2003. I think it's because it now longer calls for the "PERSONAL"
workbook where all the macros behind the buttons lived. Is there a
workaround for this? If I can't get the tools in the existing
toolbars, can I make a custom toolbar that automatically comes up when
I open XL?
Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

I was just upgraded from Office 2000 to Office 2003 here at work. (I
know, this is the state!) In XL2000, I could create tools and put them
on the standard toolbar permanently, but I can't seem to do this with
XL2003. I think it's because it now longer calls for the "PERSONAL"
workbook where all the macros behind the buttons lived. Is there a
workaround for this? If I can't get the tools in the existing
toolbars, can I make a custom toolbar that automatically comes up when
I open XL?
Thanks again.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the reply. They've sure figured out how to make it way more
complicated, haven't they? Another M$ dehancement to Office 2003!
Happy Holidays.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Dec 29, 8:00*pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
Actually you can have a Personal.xls in 2003 and add buttons to the Toolbar.

These customizations are saved in your Excel11.xlb file.

I don't recommend going with that method due to a larger *.xlb file tending
to become corrupt and cause problems.

But you can still do it the way you did in Excel 2000 if you choose.

Gord

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:28:24 -0800 (PST), davegb
wrote:

Thanks for the reply. They've sure figured out how to make it way more
complicated, haven't they? Another M$ dehancement to Office 2003!
Happy Holidays.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again, Gord. Think I'll do the extra steps and avoid the
hassles later on.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

wrote:

Thanks for the reply. They've sure figured out how to make it way more
complicated, haven't they? Another M$ dehancement to Office 2003!
Happy Holidays.

Just to let you know, I finally got time to get to this and it worked fine.
Made some mods to put the toolbar up adjacent to the formatting toolbar and
also to get rid of that annoying "Reviewing" toolbar that XP wants up all
the time.

Thanks!