Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Blinking cell if value is...

So this is probably something that should be very simple, but it's giving me
a headache.
I use excel at my job to keep track of stuff that needs to be picked up. The
value of this cell is manually inputted whenever it changes, Excel doesn't
calculate the value in any way. If there's 2, I input two. If it's 0, I put
in 0.
What I want it to do is blink if the value I input is greater than 0.
All the codes I've found only work if the cell value is being calculated by
Excel, or it effects more than just this particular cell.

The cell used is J1.
I want the color of the background to remain the same grey color, and if
it's 0 the text is a light grey, if it's 1 or greater the text blinks between
grey and bright red.

Can anyone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you really want blinking text (which I find highly annoying) you
need to use a VBA function. Excel itself doesn't support blinking
text. See http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/BlinkingText.aspx for code
examples.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:20:07 -0800, Melissa
wrote:

So this is probably something that should be very simple, but it's giving me
a headache.
I use excel at my job to keep track of stuff that needs to be picked up. The
value of this cell is manually inputted whenever it changes, Excel doesn't
calculate the value in any way. If there's 2, I input two. If it's 0, I put
in 0.
What I want it to do is blink if the value I input is greater than 0.
All the codes I've found only work if the cell value is being calculated by
Excel, or it effects more than just this particular cell.

The cell used is J1.
I want the color of the background to remain the same grey color, and if
it's 0 the text is a light grey, if it's 1 or greater the text blinks between
grey and bright red.

Can anyone help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My suggestion is to not use blinking text... it is very annoying to look at.
However, if you must, look here...

http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/BlinkingText.aspx

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks.
I'm sure it is annoying if you're staring at it constantly, but this
spreadsheet is displayed on a tv screen as a status board for workers to look
at occassionaly and know what needs to be done. Obviously something blinking
is going to grab their attention and not be overlooked.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chip,

How can I rewrite the code below so that startblink does not start at the
opening of the spreadsheet but rather starts as a result of cell A1 value =
"Already Posted" ?

And also I would like to be able to stop it at will, i.e., user acknowledges
it is in "already posted" status and clicks a button to stop it...

Please help.
Thanks,
Orlando

Complete VBA Code

Public RunWhen As Double

Sub StartBlink()
With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Font
If .ColorIndex = 3 Then ' Red Text
.ColorIndex = 2 ' White Text
Else
.ColorIndex = 3 ' Red Text
End If
End With
RunWhen = Now + TimeSerial(0,0,1)
Application.OnTime RunWhen, "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!StartBlink", ,
True
End Sub

Sub StopBlink()
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Font .ColorIndex = _
xlColorIndexAutomatic
Application.OnTime RunWhen, "'" & ThisWorkbook.Name & "'!StartBlink", ,
False
End Sub

Then, in the ThisWorkbook code module of the workbook, use code like:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
StartBlink

StopBlink

Orlando Vazquez

wrote:

So this is probably something that should be very simple, but it's giving me
a headache.
I use excel at my job to keep track of stuff that needs to be picked up. The
value of this cell is manually inputted whenever it changes, Excel doesn't
calculate the value in any way. If there's 2, I input two. If it's 0, I put
in 0.
What I want it to do is blink if the value I input is greater than 0.
All the codes I've found only work if the cell value is being calculated by
Excel, or it effects more than just this particular cell.

The cell used is J1.
I want the color of the background to remain the same grey color, and if
it's 0 the text is a light grey, if it's 1 or greater the text blinks between
grey and bright red.

Can anyone help me?

blinking cell ktisqj Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 September 9th 09 07:04 AM
Blinking Cell Will Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 April 23rd 07 10:10 AM
Blinking cell PBANKS Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 June 30th 06 04:32 PM
Blinking Cell Jim Excel Programming 9 May 30th 06 11:38 PM
blinking cell? Martyn Excel Programming 13 June 13th 04 03:36 PM