Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sorting

On my spreadsheet I have 3 rows of headings that are not named...I just typed
across the cells until I had what I needed.
The 4th, and subsequent, rows start with a name in cell A4 which has been
widen to accommodate the entire name. A5 would have a name and so on.
Question: How do I sort by name, A4 etc., without getting the headers
involved?
Do I name the A column and refer sort to that and if so, how do you name
that area?
Thanks
--
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You name an area from the insert menu something like this:

Insert - Name- Define
On the top box you key in the name you want to use and in the bottom you
select the range that will refer to this name.
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"caseysmydog" wrote:

On my spreadsheet I have 3 rows of headings that are not named...I just typed
across the cells until I had what I needed.
The 4th, and subsequent, rows start with a name in cell A4 which has been
widen to accommodate the entire name. A5 would have a name and so on.
Question: How do I sort by name, A4 etc., without getting the headers
involved?
Do I name the A column and refer sort to that and if so, how do you name
that area?
Thanks
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Very new at Excel...
Where does this info you suggested go? Is that XlNo?
-- Thanks
David

"Joel" wrote:

Rows("4:100").sort _
Key1:=Range("A4"),Header:=XlNo

"caseysmydog" wrote:

On my spreadsheet I have 3 rows of headings that are not named...I just typed
across the cells until I had what I needed.
The 4th, and subsequent, rows start with a name in cell A4 which has been
widen to accommodate the entire name. A5 would have a name and so on.
Question: How do I sort by name, A4 etc., without getting the headers
involved?
Do I name the A column and refer sort to that and if so, how do you name
that area?
Thanks
--
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select A4:H100 assuming you have that many columns and rows.

InsertNameDefine

Give the range a name like MyRangeOK

Now in the NameBox to left of formula bar select MyRange then DataSort

Uncheck "my range has header row".

Select column A from the dropdown and AscendingOK

The three rows above will be excuded from the sort operation.

You could actually make MyRange dynamic so's new rows are added to the range
as you expand the data.

See Debra's site for help on dynamic ranges.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlNames01.html#Dynamic

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP