Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default sample vs. population proportion using a z-score in excel

To all,

Needed some help on finding a formula to use in excel to calculate a
z-
score that is comparing a sample proportion to a population
proportion. Here's the data:

Sample proportion = 0.31
N = 998
Population proportion = 0.49

I can find a z-score using a formula by hand: (z-score = -11.39), but
wanted to calculate in excel for many other variables. This is the
formula I used by hand:

p = sample proportion
Po = population proportion
alpha = 0.05 (z-critical = plus/minus 1.96)
non-directional test

z = (p-Po)/square root((Po(1-Po))/N)

When I use the standardize function in excel it gives me = -0.1153.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
N10 N10 is offline

"Christopher" wrote in message
To all,

Needed some help on finding a formula to use in excel to calculate a
z-
score that is comparing a sample proportion to a population
proportion. Here's the data:

Sample proportion = 0.31
N = 998
Population proportion = 0.49

I can find a z-score using a formula by hand: (z-score = -11.39), but
wanted to calculate in excel for many other variables. This is the
formula I used by hand:

p = sample proportion
Po = population proportion
alpha = 0.05 (z-critical = plus/minus 1.96)
non-directional test

z = (p-Po)/square root((Po(1-Po))/N)

When I use the standardize function in excel it gives me = -0.1153.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hello Christopher

I may be able to help with some code but first I wish to clarify your need.

So you have a population of data

You have calculated or dervied 95 % ci limits for the mean of this data
?

Individual P values either fall inside ( + or - bias) out side the Ci
limits

Those values outside the Ci limits have unsatifactory Z scores ?

Z scores are a function or in some way related to the number of std
deviations a value of p diverges from upper or lower Ci concesus values ?

Best N10