Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default combo boxes entering data

Hello all, I was wondering is there a training site that deals with
userforms, searched madly but not able to find a free one. any suggestions.

I am not that computer savvy so any help with my question would be great.

I have a spreadsheet with student results I want to automate, I ve created a
userform that askes the teacher to select the subject assignment they wish to
enter
this then leads to another user form where the teacher either enters the
student id number or name and then a result of only a U or an S, they click
ok to enter another grade or cancel to stop.

Big problem is I don't know how to do the code.

this is the spreadsheet

student no. last name first name en401ass1 en401ass2 final grade en555ass1
025554 chuck john
115666 duncan peter
5665 skinner sam

etc

Have been stuggling with this for so long please help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

this isn't free but John Walkenbach's Power Programing in Excel has over a
hundred pages on this topic area.

Google "Creating Excel User Forms" and you will see a couple of good sites
right at the top of the list.

If this is helpful, click the Yes button.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks Shane for your reply, I have previously look on the internet fo
rinformation about userforms. I am really time poor as we all are, so have
been able to sit down and learn from the beginning. as for my problem have
you any advice to solve it?

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks mike, are you able to provide some advice on the code I will need to
perform the following task:

I have named ranges in my worksheet, student_name student_number
HLTAP401A_mid_semester_exam HLTAP401A_mid_resit and others

What would the code be in the combo boxes that would allow the user to
select a course, then either Student ID or student name, then enter a grade
of a U or S in the subject they selected.

I just can't find annthing that looks up one range of data and then enters
the result in the corresponding selected range... thinking it might be
vlookup just so stuck

"Mike Fogleman" wrote:

Check out John's site on userforms:
http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/tip/C29/P0/
There are plenty of companion files to download.

Mike F

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My advice at this time, in order for you to get something working right away
is to use the built-in Data Form. UserForms are great for creating a custom
interface for the user, but also have a steep learning curve for the novice
developer.
The Data Form has a search by criteria feature and can be used immediately
on your data list and will do exactly as you wish to do.

Now you will have some time to learn the UserForm using examples from John's
companion files at your own pace.

Mike F

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks for the suggestion mike but I have spent most of the past 2 days
trying to find out the code to do this.

I can populate a list box by changing the property but I can't find code
that will use the first userform range to then look up student id and then
enter data in the corresponding range.

I am so frustrated

what is the code for a combo box that looks up a range called student id or
student name, then finds the subject previously entered and then enters the
grade in the corresponding range.

I have read so many items in the forum and done many examples but nothing is
close to this. pleasae help if you can.

"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Mike I appreciate your reply, but I have spent the past 2 days searching for
code that will solve my problem. I just can't find any code that will use the
selection in one combo box... in this case a subject selected by the first
combo box, then with the second combo box ask for the student number or name
to then enter a U or an S in the subject selected in the first combo box.

lots of code show how to display text already entered and othes about
populating list boxes by changing the property but nothing comes close....

I am so so frustrated please help if you can.