Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default color cells of period

hi all
i have column c for start month & column d for end month then i have
12 column to give the period from e to p for year months from jan to
dec i need if i put in c4 as start month as example feb & put in d4
jul as end month i need to color cells from f4 to k4 means from feb
column to jul column & so on in other rows . any help will be
appreciated .
thanks for all
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I usually convert the month names to serial dates (a number) and then test if
one serial date is less than or greater than a reference date

For example to convert Jany to a serial date

A1 = January
Then in B1 to get a serial date
=DateValue(A1&" 1, 2008"), Notice the blank space before the 1.

This formula produces =DateValue("January 1, 2008")

I Assume you have the month names in Row 1.
Now we can use conditional formating in F4 use

=and(DateValue(F$1&" 1, 2008")=DateValue($C4&" 1, 2008"),DateValue(F$1&" 1,
2008")<=DateValue($D4&" 1, 2008"))