Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Saving a file with a macro without a path

I am using 2007 and have developed a spreadsheet template that we use for
various customers. I would like to have input boxes pop up the first time
that the file is saved asking for customer name. I would then like this
passed on to the file name, but we do not save all of the spreadsheets in one
particular folder. Each customer has their folder with sometimes many
different subfolders in each.

My question is:
Can I generate a file name but still have the save-as dialog box pop up to
pick what location I want the file saved to?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look at Chip Pearson's Browse For Folder code. You can browse for
the folder to save to and then concatenate the file name to the end of it
when you save.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/BrowseFolder.aspx
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Cmenkedi" wrote:

I am using 2007 and have developed a spreadsheet template that we use for
various customers. I would like to have input boxes pop up the first time
that the file is saved asking for customer name. I would then like this
passed on to the file name, but we do not save all of the spreadsheets in one
particular folder. Each customer has their folder with sometimes many
different subfolders in each.

My question is:
Can I generate a file name but still have the save-as dialog box pop up to
pick what location I want the file saved to?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have tried your suggestion and everything works except for 2 problems.
1. How do I set up the macro to run whenever save-as is called by the program?
2. I need to save the workbook with macros enabled. I have the right file
extension but it gives me an error message that I will loose the macros.

thanks

"Cmenkedi" wrote:

I am using 2007 and have developed a spreadsheet template that we use for
various customers. I would like to have input boxes pop up the first time
that the file is saved asking for customer name. I would then like this
passed on to the file name, but we do not save all of the spreadsheets in one
particular folder. Each customer has their folder with sometimes many
different subfolders in each.

My question is:
Can I generate a file name but still have the save-as dialog box pop up to
pick what location I want the file saved to?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do a search for Workbook_BeforeSave. That's where you can do things when
the user attempts to save the workbook. You may not need the other code. I
thought you were going to have them save at another time during execution.

I'm also guessng you are using 2007. If you want to save it as a macro
enabled workbook, save as a .xlsm.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Cmenkedi" wrote:

I am using 2007 and have developed a spreadsheet template that we use for
various customers. I would like to have input boxes pop up the first time
that the file is saved asking for customer name. I would then like this
passed on to the file name, but we do not save all of the spreadsheets in one
particular folder. Each customer has their folder with sometimes many
different subfolders in each.

My question is:
Can I generate a file name but still have the save-as dialog box pop up to
pick what location I want the file saved to?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On the Before_Save block check the existing file name if it is not your
standard file name then the user already save it and you skip your input
boxes.

Unless I'm missing something.

--
Rui