Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default FOR NEXT Problems .....

Hi there!

I really do just bumble my way through this stuff, so I apologise for my
lack of technical know-how!

I want a procedure (set within a "for .... next") that says: if (a happens)
and (b happens) and (c happens) then "Name" & s = (a number, i.e. 5 or 6 or 7
etc)

I'm trying to do it like this so I really don't have to post my actual code!
I think the problem lies in the ("Name" & s) area!? It will work and give
simply "Name" a value, but I need values for Name1, Name2, Name3 etc

Hopefully you guys can help without me having to embarrass myself with
posting code!?

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This may help but it's difficult without your code to understand
better.

In the example below the code checks the values in column a, b and c
plus the row (defined by a) are equal to 1. If so column d and the row
are given the value "Name" & s.

Sub test()
Dim a As Integer
Dim s As Integer
s = 1
For a = 1 To 10
If ActiveSheet.Range("a" & a).Value = 1 Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("b" & a).Value = 1 Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("c" & a).Value = 1 Then
ActiveSheet.Range("d" & a).Value = "Name" & s
s = s + 1
Else
'do nothing
Next a

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to help out!

Here's the line of code that I'd like to make work, if possible!!

If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And ("cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = -4) Then
"Stable"&s = 6

It gives a Compile error - the last bit!

Thanks!

"anon" wrote:

This may help but it's difficult without your code to understand
better.

In the example below the code checks the values in column a, b and c
plus the row (defined by a) are equal to 1. If so column d and the row
are given the value "Name" & s.

Sub test()
Dim a As Integer
Dim s As Integer
s = 1
For a = 1 To 10
If ActiveSheet.Range("a" & a).Value = 1 Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("b" & a).Value = 1 Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("c" & a).Value = 1 Then
ActiveSheet.Range("d" & a).Value = "Name" & s
s = s + 1
Else
'do nothing
Next a

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What a

"MP", "cbxHole" & "Stable" Named cells?

I assume that s & Shots are variables.

If the above is the case then the line can be re-written:

If Range("MP").Value + s = 5 And Shots = 0 _
And (Range("cbxHole").Value + s) - (Range("MP").Value + s) = -4 _
Then Range("Stable") = 6 - s

But as we are adding s to both Range("cbxHole").value and Range("MP").Value,
we can simply omit them to give:

If Range("MP") + s = 5 And Shots = 0 _
And (Range("cbxHole").Value) - (Range("MP").Value) = -4 _
Then Range("Stable") = 6 - s

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"anon" wrote:

This may help but it's difficult without your code to understand
better.

In the example below the code checks the values in column a, b and c
plus the row (defined by a) are equal to 1. If so column d and the row
are given the value "Name" & s.

Sub test()
Dim a As Integer
Dim s As Integer
s = 1
For a = 1 To 10
If ActiveSheet.Range("a" & a).Value = 1 Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("b" & a).Value = 1 Then
If ActiveSheet.Range("c" & a).Value = 1 Then
ActiveSheet.Range("d" & a).Value = "Name" & s
s = s + 1
Else
'do nothing
Next a

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should provide more details because "Name" & s = (a number, i.e. 5 or 6
or 7 is confusing... I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. Here's some
example code to work with. Hope it helps.

Sub MyNameNumbers()
'This will copy the first 20 cells from column A
'over to column B and also append the row number to it
For r = 1 To 20
Cells(r, 2) = Cells(r, 1) & " " & r
Next r
End Sub

"Don Guillett" wrote in message

for i = 1 to 21
if cells(i,1)=1 and cells(i,2)="b" and cells(i,3)*cells(i,4)=45 then
msgbox "Hi there"
next i

OR use SELECT CASE

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Blobbies" wrote in message
Hi there!

I really do just bumble my way through this stuff, so I apologise for my
lack of technical know-how!

I want a procedure (set within a "for .... next") that says: if (a
happens)
and (b happens) and (c happens) then "Name" & s = (a number, i.e. 5 or 6
or 7
etc)

I'm trying to do it like this so I really don't have to post my actual
code!
I think the problem lies in the ("Name" & s) area!? It will work and
give
simply "Name" a value, but I need values for Name1, Name2, Name3 etc

Hopefully you guys can help without me having to embarrass myself with
posting code!?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick

Thanks for your time! Right - I have bitten the bullet and posted all the
code - I know that it will be very raw and entirely without order and won't
follow rules etc, but I can usually bumble my way through!

It is a procedure to work out stableford points in golf!

See what you think!

Private Sub CommandButton5_Click()
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Worksheets("Players").Select
Worksheets("Players").Unprotect
Range("A1").Select
With ActiveCell.EntireColumn
.Find(cbxPlayerName).Select
End With
Dim Shots As Integer

Set CourseHandicap = Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column + 4)
Set ScoringSex = Cells(ActiveCell.Row, ActiveCell.Column + 1)

For s = 1 To 18
If ScoringSex = "M" Then GoTo MEN
If ScoringSex = "F" Then GoTo WOMEN

MEN:
If (CourseHandicap - "MS" & s) <= 0 Then Shots = 0
If (CourseHandicap - "MS" & s) = 1 And (CourseHandicap - 10) <= 18 Then
Shots = 1
If (CourseHandicap - "MS" & s) 18 And (CourseHandicap - 10) <= 36 Then
Shots = 2
If (CourseHandicap - "MS" & s) 36 Then Shots = 3

If ScoringSex = M Then GoTo MISSTHEWOMEN

WOMEN:

If (CourseHandicap - "WS" & s) <= 0 Then Shots = 0
If (CourseHandicap - "WS" & s) = 1 And (CourseHandicap - 10) <= 18 Then
Shots = 1
If (CourseHandicap - "WS" & s) 18 And (CourseHandicap - 10) <= 36 Then
Shots = 2
If (CourseHandicap - "WS" & s) 36 Then Shots = 3

MISSTHEWOMEN:
If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And "cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = -4 Then
"Stable"&s = 6
If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And "cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = -3 Then
"Stable"&s = 5
If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And "cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = -2 Then
"Stable"&s = 4
If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And "cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = -1 Then
"Stable"&s = 3
If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And "cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = 0 Then
"Stable"&s = 2
If "MP" & s = 5 And Shots = 0 And "cbxHole" & s - "MP" & s = 1 Then
"Stable"&s = 1

Next s

End Sub

This procedure strikes problems at the "Then "Stable"&s =" part!

MP(Men's Par or WP women's par) is the par score for the holes (1-18) and MS
or WS is the Men's/Women's stroke hole figure, which are both required to
work out the stableford points.
The course handicap comes from adetails sheet and is particular to each player
MP/WP are assigned when the (enter the scores) userform is initiated, as are
the MS/WS.
cbxHole1 - cbxHole18 are entered into the userform, depending on the
player's scores for the hole!

Thanks for your efforts!!

"Blobbies" wrote in message
Hi there!

I really do just bumble my way through this stuff, so I apologise for my
lack of technical know-how!

I want a procedure (set within a "for .... next") that says: if (a
happens)
and (b happens) and (c happens) then "Name" & s = (a number, i.e. 5 or 6
or 7
etc)

I'm trying to do it like this so I really don't have to post my actual
code!
I think the problem lies in the ("Name" & s) area!? It will work and
give
simply "Name" a value, but I need values for Name1, Name2, Name3 etc

Hopefully you guys can help without me having to embarrass myself with
posting code!?

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Without seeing your project I see several areas of improvement.
If ScoringSex = M Then GoTo MISSTHEWOMEN

If ucase(ScoringSex) = "M" Then GoTo MISSTHEWOMEN

Also you do not have to goto the players sheet or even unprotect it to work
with it

Sub golf2()
What = "ddd"
With Worksheets("Players")
Set c = .Columns(1).Find(What, LookIn:=xlValues, After:=.Cells(1, 1), _
lookat:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False)

If Not c Is Nothing Then

Set CourseHandicap = c.Offset(, 4)
Set ScoringSex = c.Offset(, 1)
If UCase(ScoringSex) = "M" Then MsgBox "oK"
'etc

MsgBox CourseHandicap
MsgBox ScoringSex
Else

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Blobbies" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay, you didn't answer my "are the variables or are the controls" question
directly, but it looks like they are controls. You can reference a control
on a UserForm using the Me.Controls collection. For example, assuming MS is
a control where a value is typed or selected, this line which you
attempted...

If (CourseHandicap - "MS" & s) <= 0 Then Shots = 0

would be written this way...

If (CoursHandicap - Me.Controls("MS" & s).Value) <= 0 Then Shots = 0

So, for controls, where you are attempting to write this...

ControlName & Variable

use this instead....

Me.Controls(ControlName & Variable)

and I think you should always specify a property rather than relying on the
default property to be supplied by VB when you omit specifying one.

Rick

"Blobbies" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Rick

Thank you so much for your help! It's always something simple, but I just
don't have that depth of knowledge!! However, I do now have a new piece of
info' to tuck away!!

Thank you!

Mike