Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default delimited text export

delimited text exported into one column - wanted in 6 columns

from a query result (in a process), i am exporting 6 columns of data to a
csv file but it comes out in 1 column with the data (thus aborting my
continued process). however my co-worker can run the exact same process and
he ends up with 6 columns of data and the process continues just fine. we
tried most everything, not sure if problem is with export from query result
or the csv excel like application.

what we do know is that my version of the file looks to be in unicode and i
have 2 characters at the front of my file while my co-workers does not.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Seems like it must have to do with the difference between your Excel settings
and your co-worker's. I don't know which setting would do it, but if you go
through Tools.Options and compare yours with his you would probably stumble
across it eventually.

Or it MIGHT be some setting in your Control Panel, though I'm not sure which
one.

Another possibility: Maybe one of you has a different set of
document-conversion capabilities....though I wouldn't think so, for CSV.

--- "LenS" wrote:
delimited text exported into one column - wanted in 6 columns

from a query result (in a process), i am exporting 6 columns of data to a
csv file but it comes out in 1 column with the data (thus aborting my
continued process). however my co-worker can run the exact same process and
he ends up with 6 columns of data and the process continues just fine. we
tried most everything, not sure if problem is with export from query result
or the csv excel like application.

what we do know is that my version of the file looks to be in unicode and i
have 2 characters at the front of my file while my co-workers does not.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unless it is explicitly stated in the proc, QMF for Windows uses the settings
in Results/Save to File/Options. Have the user who is saving csv files in
unicode open a table, go to Results/Save to File. In the Save Data dialog,
have him set the "Save as type" to "CSV File (*.csv)" and click the Options
button. In the CSV Options dialog, he will see a CCSID drop down. Have him
verify that it is in UNICODE (1200 or 1208) first. Then, he can switch it to
1252(Latin-1 ANSI).

You have to save a file for the change to take effect, so save the test file
(he can delete it) and then run the proc.

this from the vendor -- it solved the problem -- but then when i went to
another file type (txt or doc) it made a difference what my export command
was "report" vs. "data" -- so i had to figure out what worked best

it shouldn't be this complicated ...etc..