capitan

Default Export excel file to semicolon delimited text file

Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon
delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If
not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help.
Dave Peterson

If you change your regional settings to use the semicolon as your list
separator, you can save as .csv and it should work. But this may affect other
programs, too--since it's a windows setting.

windows start button|settings|control panel|regional and language options|
regional options tab|customize button

near the bottom.

On the other hand, if you don't want to fiddle with that setting, you could use
a macro to write your file.

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

If you don't want to write your own, try Earl's program first. He has lots of
options in that program.

--

Dave Peterson
Bill Sharpe

Export as a csv file. Open file in Notepad and replace commas with
semi-colons.
Works fine unless you have commas in your cells.

Bill

"capitan" wrote in message
Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon
delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If
not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help.

capitan

"capitan" wrote in message
Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon
delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If
not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help.

Thanks Bill. You read my mind, because that is exactly what we are
doing with it now. My hope is to automate the process. Thanks anyway.
capitan

capitan wrote:

Hello all. We have the need to export a file from excel to a semicolon
delimited text file. Is there a way to do this from Excel directly? If
not, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA for your help.

Dave,

Thanks so much! Earl's script does exactly what I'm looking for. U da
man, and keep up the great answers. Thanks again.

Earl Kiosterud

Bill,

A problem with this approach is that if semicolons are the delimiter, then
the field should have quote marks around it if a semicolon appears in the
data. The program writing the file needs to put the delimiters in, so it
knows when to add the quote marks. Otherwise, the program reading the file
can get messed up if semicolons are in the data. More at
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm.

--
Earl Kiosterud